Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition of one month's notice

Options
  • 28-04-2014 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Need a bit of advice. I handed my notice in this morning to my employer. I have one weeks holidays and therefore said I would finish up on 16th May, and take the 4th week for my holiday days. She got very snappy with me and said not all months are 4 weeks, and I must work until the end of May, which actually gives me more holiday entitlement but means I miss the start date of my new job, which she is aware of. This means my notice will be 5 full weeks if I agree. I checked my contract at home before getting back to her and it says one month notice period just to be sure.

I wouldnt mind but I had a meeting with her last month and told her of my intention to leave and that I would hopefully have found a job in the next 2-3 months which she agreed with and was happy for me, so I just can't understand why she's being so picky about days. Another thing to note, my contract of employment ends on wednesday 30th of April, think I am still obliged to give one months notice, but would love to get some advice or hear your thoughts?!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One month to me is one calendar month so I'd agree with her on that point.

However if your contract is expiring at the end of April and you have no new contract why are you considering working there after that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

elletee wrote: »
    Another thing to note, my contract of employment ends on wednesday 30th of April, think I am still obliged to give one months notice, but would love to get some advice or hear your thoughts?!

Stheno is right. If your contract is up on that date your are not obliged to work any date after the 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 elletee

I had a meeting a month ago and I was asked whether I would stay on but I said I wanted to progress my career in another direction so told her I would let her know when I found a new job- hopefully within 2-3 months of my contract ending- and she said that I wouldn't be let go on the end date of my contract so I thought I should give one months notice. Feel like walking out the door on Wednesday but I really don't want to end on bad terms. I think I might just stick to my guns, and say I am leaving after 4 weeks and so be it. I think that's reasonable considering I told them a month ago of my intention to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You handed in your notice today, so this day next month is the last day you have to work. i.e. the 28th of May.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

elletee wrote: »
    I had a meeting a month ago and I was asked whether I would stay on but I said I wanted to progress my career in another direction so told her I would let her know when I found a new job- hopefully within 2-3 months of my contract ending- and she said that I wouldn't be let go on the end date of my contract so I thought I should give one months notice. Feel like walking out the door on Wednesday but I really don't want to end on bad terms. I think I might just stick to my guns, and say I am leaving after 4 weeks and so be it. I think that's reasonable considering I told them a month ago of my intention to leave.
    It's not to be honest in the context of that post.

A months notice is one calendar month, so that's 28th May.

Just go to your new employer and see if you can renogotiate your start date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If your contract is up, then your not bound by the terms of it anymore. You have given notice, your out of contract during that notice period, finish up on the day that you intend to, leave on good terms but I wouldn't be taking any hassle from them when your out of contract.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think the confusion might (also) be because you assumed that you could use your leave as part of your notice period. An employer can make you work your complete notice period and pay you for any outstanding leave at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

If your contract of employment finishes on April 30th you are no longer bound to its terms. In fact, technically, your employer is in breach of employment law by employing you without a valid contract.
    So you are well within your rights to leave anytime you wish to after that.

Advertisement