Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double gates in progress

Options
  • 28-04-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Well everyone here is a set of double gates that I am making for the side of the house. They are made from sapele, iroko and maple. It's all timber I got for free a few years ago and have had it storage in the brother in laws shed since and it's about time I made use of it. I will probably end up painting them.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice job there galwaydude:)

Good weather recently , starts off all the household / garden chores ect, thats a major job out of the way for you.

What finish will you be going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Not sure. I'd say it will be a paint finish. I don't have enough timber to to across the path and the grass to the fence so I'm going to get some 8" posts and shiplap to fill in both sides of the gates.

Would you think 3 ball bearing stainless steel hinges with rather long screws would hold the gates up?

Here's the detail of the panels in the gates. 10 hours worth of routing and three different router bits to produce the detail

Shiplap sheeting detail.

It looks as though the rebate is about 6 mm. I assume you are going to leave about 1.5 mm between each sheet to allow for expansion. deeper would have been safer, but on vertical joints gravity will help you to stop water holding between the joints.

Maple and sapele look well together, but make sure the maple in particular is well treated with whatever finish / preservative you are using.

Nice one matey:)

The rebate is 8mm deep. The sheeting ended up random width so I made the gates to suit that. Ya I was thinking of coating them with aluminum primer, undercoat and a few coats of the finish colour.

• Advertisement

Should do the job nicely

I have plenty of 5 x 80 and 5 x 100 screws in the press I made for all my screws in the utility.. :D

I would be inclined to use the Tee type hook and pin gate hinge, as opposed to the ball bearing butt hinge.

The long hook and pin set up allows abolt through the tenon, and then 2 more through the horizontal rails, great support for the joint

Advertisement