Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HELP ME CHOORSE GUITARS :O

• 28-04-2014 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm looking to a new guitar in the Summer,
    One is an Orville Custom with Bareknuckle Mules.
    The other is a PRS Custom 24 Floyd rose found on thomann ( I can't add the link)

I play alot of rock, from classic guns n roses to metallica to Muse and Nirvana. I like the warm les paul tone form my epiphone les paul standard but I want others opinions on these 2 guitars, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

This PRS? http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_se_floyd_custom_24_amethyst.htm

Both fine guitars, but the Floyd Rose is a beast to deal with unless you're used to them. You may find the PRS has less (for want of a better word) body because of the Floyd.

Another option might be a LTD EC-1000 http://www.thomann.de/ie/esp_ltd_ec1000_vbk.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i'd have to agree, if you don't need a floyd stay away!

why new btw? at that kind of budget you would get a really nice guitar second hand in adverts! better value!

if you want a floyd,
    http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/burny-les-paul-with-floyd-sustainer/4323968

if not
    http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/orville-les-paul/5134913

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SeanEdward96

Is the floyd that hard to deal with? Some of the bands I listen to (Muse, Metallica,RAtM) etc. use a tremelo arm sometime and it looked like a good buy, the Orville looked fantastic because I'm so used to my les paul but I hate thick necks :/

They take a bit of learning to restring, and a bunch more to setup properly but they're great when they work. I've spent 2 days stripping one down that is seized due to sweat corrosion!

If you're in Dublin, pop into Xmusic, Waltons, or Music Maker and have a play on an Ibanez with a floating bridge. That's probably as close as you'll get to a kosher Floyd in Dublin's guitar shops (though, I'm open to correction)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'd second the stay away from the floating bridge.

If you have any intention of drop tuning on the fly or anything of the sort they're a nightmare.
    As said above, great when they work, if you need them which is rare. an absolute pain if you don't.

• Advertisement

I'm looking at an Orville custom, anyone have any experience with a gibson les paul studio too? They're in the same price range too and look to be good

I'm looking at getting an Orville Les Paul Custom or a Gibson Les Paul studio 2013.
    I want peoples opinions if they have played either of them and help me work it out! :) Thanks guys

Which one do you prefer the look of?
    Which one is more in your budget?
    Which one can you get more easily?

Honestly, I doubt you're going to tell the difference between them (I'm not sure on the neck profiles). Are you looking for something that you might want to sell on in future? Get the Gibson. Go play the Gibson, and decide if you like it.

The Orville has a pare of bareknuckle mules in it

The Orville has a pare of bareknuckle mules in it

Is that the sound you want? Then go for the Orville. Although pickups can be changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is the floyd that hard to deal with? Some of the bands I listen to (Muse, Metallica,RAtM) etc. use a tremelo arm sometime and it looked like a good buy, the Orville looked fantastic because I'm so used to my les paul but I hate thick necks :/
    all the above bands guitarists only see those guitars during showtime....the rest of the day they are expertly maintained, strung, tuned, and polished by professionals....
    If you are a shredder ...by all means buy a floyd rose, if you are not a shredder i would not buy a floyd rose....

If you want to try a floyd rose....buy a lower priced one and see how it goes...

personally i hate them, but they are important if you need them (obviously)

one example of why i dislike a floyd rose is, if i want to change to drop D.....then you may have to retune all 6 strings...as the tension release on the E string may ripple down to the other strings.

Advertisement