Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three, the NBS and the contention ratio

Options
  • 28-04-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Can somebody help me please with regards to the NBS and the speed that Three must provide.

I was onto technical support complaining that my speeds were about 0.5mbs in the evenings and they are supposed to provide a minimum of 2.3mbs under the NBS.

The technician said that the minimum speed stipulation is subject to a contention ratio of 18:1 and therefore as long as I can get that speed during periods of low contention ( say 3:00 am ! ) then they are off the hook ???

In other words there is no come back for slow speeds ? Can this be true ?

From Three Website here
    Is the NBS project co-funded by the EU?

The project will attract EU co-funding under the ERDF 2007-2013 of approximately €30m, reducing the net cost to the Exchequer to approximately €50m.

Three have extended its network to provide mobile wireless broadband services into NBS areas. From 1st October, 2012, the mobile wireless broadband service (HSPA) has a minimum download speed of 2.3mbps, a minimum upload speed of 1.4Mbps, which is subject to a maximum contention ratio of 18:1, a latency of 100 milliseconds and a 40 Gigabyte (30 down, 10 up) inclusive monthly download allowance limit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ewheels15

I have found that the speeds with Three nbs are worse now that they were two years ago, I rang customer support to be told its normal not be able to use You Tube, skype, or even open my emails, even load images ha, we are living with stone age internet connection and it seems to me that three aren't going to do anything about it (i think they get there money from the government anyway regardless of what quality product we get)

I have been talking to people I know with three nbs and its finally starting to gather momentum people are just not happy and something will have to be done. All I can say is ring customer support again and again or maybe someone will reply on here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Find it hilarious that mobile broadband is 'broadband' under the NBS... in other words, they have to do **** all.

Broadband with pathetic caps... go NBS! /sarcasm.

How about fecking giving people under the NBS a bigger allowance on their mobile broadband - that'd be a good start ain't it ?

Nopes... we gots to make do with 15-60GB.

Advertisement