Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which looks better on a cv?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm planning on applying for computer science and I'm doing all of my 7 subjects at honours level. However as physics is my poorest subject (got a d3 in the mocks) I'm considering dropping to ordinary level where I know I can achieve a much higher grade rather than risk failing the honours paper. What I want to know is, which looks better a high grade in an ordinary paper? Or a low grade in an honours paper? Or do employers care? My points I don't think will be affected(as I didn't plan on counting physics) and the course doesn't require a science subject. It's just I'd rather focus my energy into a hard honours subject like maths where it has twenty five extra points up for grabs, is a course requirement and could be the difference between passing and failing my Leaving Cert. Any advice on the topic would be appreciated and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

CV for what exactly? Once you have a degree no one will care what grades you got in your Leaving Cert, nor will they ask. If it's for looking for part time work stacking shelves in the local supermarket while you're in college, I'm not sure it'll make much difference there either. Do the higher level paper if you are able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tiffy6666

Yeah it'll be purely for jobs between now and when/if I get my degree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

CV for what exactly? Once you have a degree no one will care what grades you got in your Leaving Cert, nor will they ask. If it's for looking for part time work stacking shelves in the local supermarket while you're in college, I'm not sure it'll make much difference there either. Do the higher level paper if you are able for it.

They make not care hugely about individual grades but in grad job applications they will ask you about them and plenty have minimum requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Once you have a degree no one will care what grades you got in your Leaving Cert, nor will they ask.
    Maybe when you've got a degree plus five years experience, but when you're fresh out of uni, your leaving cert still matters.

OP, if you think you can manage the higher level paper, then I'd advise you to go for it. You may not need a science subject to get your course, but an honour in a science subject still looks good on your CV and may prove useful in the future.

Advertisement