Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back and pelvic pain

Options
  • 28-04-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey all, New to this !

just wanted to ask im 25 weeks now due in August the last few days ive had a really bad back and pain in the pelvic area, esp when i walk i feel it. ive no spotting and no other symptoms just feel like ive had a 5 hour horse riding lesson!!

I was at my midwife on Friday and all was ok she said it was normal and not to worry as i had no spotting or cramps. and i had a bad back anyway before , ive been going to physio and have stretches to do but its quite bad the last 2 days

im due in again on for my GTT on Friday in the Coomhe and midwife on the 16th may

Did anyone else have this and any tips on how to ease it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Yep had pelvis problems from about 20 weeks on, it's common but not normal and loads of women unfortunately suffer with it. I had a month or so where my legs and pelvis would scream in bed every night so I was up every 45 mins/1 hour and felt like I was going mad. It eventually eased off on it's own but then had problems where sometimes sitting I felt like my bones were grinding which then eased off and at the moment (34 weeks) it's pelvis pain right between my legs that gets very sore at night and is ok during the day.

There are classes you can take or you can consider a physio so don't be afraid to say it to your midwife. I also now always sleep with a pillow between my legs at night and another supporting my back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ask for a referral for the hospital physio. Back and pelvic pain are t necessarily just a part of pregnancy. I found the midwives were very reluctant to refer for physio but I guessed it was because of cutbacks. Nonetheless you're entitled to it so ask out straight for a referral. It could take weeks to get an appointment so the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ooo30

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've a bad back and I suffered with it much worse through pregnancy.

The only two things I found helped were Pregnancy Yoga (and actually doing the stretches at home). Go to an actual class that's recommended.

The other was (when I was heavily preggers) a support belt. The nexus one from Mothercare. It's about 50 euro but I found it a god send sometimes.

I slept with about 6 pillows in various positions around me every night.

I found that my back was very prone to going out of whack post partum for up to a year. Your stomach muscles get weakened significantly with pregnancy and so then don't support your lower back very well. (plus all that lifting of the wee one and car seats doesn't help).

I've worked on strengthening my tummy muscles (core) as much as I can since having my son - Pilates & yoga are great for this and I'm sure there are youtube videos on excercises.

All I'm saying is mind your back and put the time and effort into excercises and stretches - they pay off if you're consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jitter

I was having bad pelvic pains so my GP referred me to the hospital physio. Went to a class then with other pregnant ladies and they gave us exercises to do and tips on ways to try avoid the pain that comes with certain movements and we were also given support belts. Very helpful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement