Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA

Options
  • 28-04-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Saw this on my heritage - http://www.myheritage.com/dna-tests?s=679221 & was wondering if it was worth the money ?

I know ancestry.com in the US is quite successful at matching up distant family from DNA testing, but I don't know if it'd be as successful here?

Has anyone done it & were you satisfied ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I done one, but you need a good paper trail, I only know my family history to my great grand parents. At 23andme I have four third cousins I can't place due to lack of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Do they provide you with links to their trees?

Also ethnicity breakdown etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes. I'm hoping someone has better records than me. One big issue at 23andme is that many people keep their details private and don' reply to messages (I think this may have to do with people signing up for the medical features). They also have good tools that let you see if your matches are related to each other.
    Family tree dna offer a similar test called family finder where you get more public details but not as many matches.
    23andme give you an ethnicity breakdown but to be honest if you're Irish you'd need to have some very recent non Western European ancestry for it to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

They appear to be a direct reseller for FTDNA. I'd just test directly with FTDNA tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ipso wrote: »
    One big issue at 23andme is that many people keep their details private and don' reply to messages (I think this may have to do with people signing up for the medical features).

I ignore everyone on 23&me who send me a request without explaining why they want to share info. It's fairly easy though tolimit theinfo that you share, excluding the health information but perhaps not everyone knows of this.

• Advertisement

If you have a FTDNA account already and have 23andme results you can transfer them into it (think for 50 bucks). Basically "FamilyFinder" product is similar to that offered by 23andme. They've no interest in "health features" in FTDNA that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

OU812 wrote: »
    Saw this on my heritage - http://www.myheritage.com/dna-tests?s=679221 & was wondering if it was worth the money ?

I know ancestry.com in the US is quite successful at matching up distant family from DNA testing, but I don't know if it'd be as successful here?

Has anyone done it & were you satisfied ?

I have never done one of these but I like to comment as I see many people doing them and ending up disappointed with the results. Although there is a huge wealth of information that could be learned from DNA, in research you have teams of crack data scientists working for months on end to make interesting finds while in contrast these companies are only able to give a far smaller amount of attention and can only give basic information. For specific tasks they can be very useful like checking a male ancestor or connecting suspected family trees but not for vague questions.

It really depends on what you are looking for. In my own case my interest is in deep ancestry. How does my Y-Chromosome lineage (to use an example) connected to other men in Western Europe, particularly when using the "cookie trail" of SNP's.

My closest matches are probably on the order of 400years TMRCA (time to most recent common ancestor). More distantly I share a lineage (Defined by SNP DF41+) that probably arose during the Iron Age. Within this "lineage" there are distinct genetic clusters of men with a distribution from Wales into Scotland and over into Ulster.

Of course if you have done the legwork of tracing say two lineages that spilt 100-150 years ago a DNA test from both lineages can confirm that they are connected.

As hobbies go it can be an expensive one in the long run :P

Advertisement