Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying French by myself for the LC

Options
  • 27-04-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I'm in transition year right now and we just got our bands for subject choice next year and it looks like I won't be able to do French in school. It's been put on at the same time as Chemistry which I need for university. My French teacher in school isn't great to be honest. I managed to scrape a C at higher level for the Junior Cert, but that was due to a lot of cramming and studying I had to do on my own. The chemistry teacher is brilliant (I had him for science in the jc) so it's a no brainer really.

I'm just wondering though will I be able to do French outside of school by myself? I'd have two years so I'd definitely have enough time and I'd be willing to put in the work. It'd be my 8th subject so really I only want to do it for ordinary level (I'd only have 6 HL subjects then, I'm doing OL irish too). Can anyone recommend how I should go about it? Like where should I start and what stuff should I cover? I've looked at the syllabus and the past exam papers and it seems manageable enough I'm just not quite sure how exactly to tackle it.

I'd probably end up getting grinds in 6th year for the oral (as I really have had no practice what so ever in that), but other than that I'd be trying to do the rest myself. I've gone through some old threads on here and I saw lots of people say to get the grammar learned first. Is this a good idea? Where should I go after that?

Also what materials (books, revision guides, etc) do people recommend me getting?

Thanks for any help you might have,

Derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

I'd say it's definitely not impossible! A friend of mine took up pass French in January of Sixth year and still passed it :P

get yourself some past exam papers and they'll give you some idea of what to work on.
    The messages, postcards, letters and diary entries have lots of phrases which can learned off by heart and are applicable to most topics. What we did in school was went through the written passages and highlighted any words we didn't understand, then looked them up and wrote them down in small notebooks- a kind of makeshift dictionary.
    Tout Va Bien was the pass book used in my school and I think people found it alright. the grammar and verb sections, though boring at times are actually really important!
    I would recommend getting a few sessions of oral speaking practice before your oral exam though.

I give french grinds and got an A1 in HL in my leaving cert last year- feel free to pm me if you're having any difficulties :)

Advertisement