Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stove flue size

Options
  • 27-04-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Fitting a 16kw stove with a 6in flue comming straight off the top of the stove (5ft in length) This will be connected straight into an existing 10in clay flue using a reducer fitting, The clay flue runs another 21 feet to the chimney top,
    My question is will this be sufficent for enough of a draw for a stove to operate properly at low heat ie, will the 10in flue be too large? I guess there would be no problem with a blazing fire in the stove but what happens when I close the damper?
    the supplier says im better to run a flexy flue the whole way up and backfill around with vermiculite, at the cost of an extra 400e, he says the exhaust gas will stay hotter in the flue and rise better, anybody have any thoughts on this before I splash the cash, I think 8in is normal for a clay flue but my flue is 10in internal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

sohappy wrote: »
    Fitting a 16kw stove with a 6in flue comming straight off the top of the stove (5ft in length) This will be connected straight into an existing 10in clay flue using a reducer fitting, The clay flue runs another 21 feet to the chimney top,
    My question is will this be sufficent for enough of a draw for a stove to operate properly at low heat ie, will the 10in flue be too large? I guess there would be no problem with a blazing fire in the stove but what happens when I close the damper?
    the supplier says im better to run a flexy flue the whole way up and backfill around with vermiculite, at the cost of an extra 400e, he says the exhaust gas will stay hotter in the flue and rise better, anybody have any thoughts on this before I splash the cash, I think 8in is normal for a clay flue but my flue is 10in internal

You have to put a flue liner and vermiculite in or the chimney will drop below dew point temperature and create condensation
    Which will damage the stove ( rust it )

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

You have to put a flue liner and vermiculite in or the chimney will drop below dew point temperature and create condensation
    Which will damage the stove ( rust it )

Thanks for the reply, stainless steel flue and vermiculite it is so,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

sohappy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, stainless steel flue and vermiculite it is so,

Yes twin wall stainless steel liner and vermiculite will do the trick
    Go on Mi flues website for more info

Advertisement