Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1970's marriage cert

Options
  • 27-04-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    What information would a marriage cert from the 1970's give?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The same as a historic. I think late in the 70s, they began to include mothers name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Actually, having just checked my parents (1974), it does have their mothers' names on the cert, but no occupations for any parents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Actually, having just checked my parents (1974), it does have their mothers' names on the cert, but no occupations for any parents.

Thanks,
    Does it just say over 21 for the ages?
    Does it say mothers name for both spouses or just for the husband?

Ages exact. Mothers names for both spouses (there was always equality of information for each party!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I've got a marriage cert from 1956 and it has their dates of birth on it!!! Along with both mothers names too!!

• Advertisement

This article which I found through Shane's website says that 1956 was the first year to swap fathers' occupation for mothers' names.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/GRO-History.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement