Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Kitchen

Options
  • 27-04-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi, looking for help advise, any one out there with similar story. Basically I had two separate rooms (dining area 2.5m x 3.7m and kitchen 2.6m x 4.7m) and I made it into one open plan area. Based on my plumbers advise he recommended me to put in one double radiator in the room. The new room is cold ever since. The kitchen comes out 2.25m from main house, has its own roof. I got that attic area insulated last year, 8 inches on top of 4 inches. No change in temperature. It's a timber frame house. My other idea is install a kick space heater under one of the presses, reason for kick space is there's no free wall space. Has any one any other ideas on how to make the place warmer or in similar situation and got it fixed. Last winter it was a joke the draughts coming from that area. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

BPH wrote: »
    Hi, looking for help advise, any one out there with similar story. Basically I had two separate rooms (dining area 2.5m x 3.7m and kitchen 2.6m x 4.7m) and I made it into one open plan area. Based on my plumbers advise he recommended me to put in one double radiator in the room. The new room is cold ever since. The kitchen comes out 2.25m from main house, has its own roof. I got that attic area insulated last year, 8 inches on top of 4 inches. No change in temperature. It's a timber frame house. My other idea is install a kick space heater under one of the presses, reason for kick space is there's no free wall space. Has any one any other ideas on how to make the place warmer or in similar situation and got it fixed. Last winter it was a joke the draughts coming from that area. Thanks.

Take off the rad and install a Solo rad
    6 kW in place of it
    it will heat the room
    Also the kicker is only 3kw but get the draughts fixed
    You could put 10 kW in there and it won't heat with too many air changes
    (draughts)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Any easy way for finding where the draughts are coming from ? I have a vent in the room which I can open and close, I know leaving them closed isn't good for the cavity but can't be any harm closing it now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

From what you are describing your problem is more to do with heat loss than space heating.
    Richie is correct, deal with your draught problems first and maybe have a look at the wall insulation while you're at it.

Wall insulation isn't really an option, as I mentioned above it's a timber frame house. From what I've read these cannot be insulated. It's hard to imagine that many draught's in one room but I suppose these houses were slapped up back in the day. Is a heat camera the best to get or is there a better option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If you have a extractor fan check you have the correct vent plate outside, it should be a type that is perminently closed until the fan is switched on, anything else will cause a draft.

• Advertisement

I have an extractor fan over the cooker, does putting in one of these make that much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Check pipe supply and waste entry points through walls (maybe behind the cupboards but will come under the units) / keyholes/ rotary dryer door open?/ around windows and door openings/letterboxes/cat flap/light fittings in ceiling.... the list is potentially long. On a reasonably windy day wet the back of your hand and check these areas and you will feel the chill of any draughts. It's entirely free! If no obvious air leaks then look elsewhere for the problem.

Advertisement