Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surly Pacer... a good commuter?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I'm beginning to look for a new commuter and my eyes are going on steel, horizontal top tubes and durable, old school geometry frames...
    This Surly Pacer seems to thick all the boxes, even as a winter bike...
    Anyone has one of these or could you suggest something similar?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

clod71 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to look for a new commuter and my eyes are going on steel, horizontal top tubes and durable, old school geometry frames...
    This Surly Pacer seems to thick all the boxes, even as a winter bike...
    Anyone has one of these or could you suggest something similar?
    Thanks

I don't think it has eyelets for racks or full mudguards.

Also last year's was Red.

Otherwise a beautiful bike that will run 28s.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Looks like it does...

Braze-ons/extrasSingle fender eyelets front and rear, dual water bottle mounts, and pump peg (54cm and larger)
    http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer/frame_highlights

Do you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It has mudguard eyelets and will take up to 32mm tyres.

It has mudguard eyelets and will take up to 32mm tyres.

Fair enough.

I dreamed of having one when it was electric blue but I find that red colour to be fugly.

Fair enough.

I dreamed of having one when it was electric blue but I find that red colour to be fugly.

I'm not mad about the red either I've to say, but I'm looking for a durable work horse rather than a dream bike.
    I'm actually looking for the frame only and possibly I would like to fit some carbon forks on it... Blasphemy?

• Advertisement

I'm not mad about the red either I've to say, but I'm looking for a durable work horse rather than a dream bike.
    I'm actually looking for the frame only and possibly I would like to fit some carbon forks on it... Blasphemy?

There's no technical reason as long as they're the right size headset, but most people find steel forks pretty comfortable so the only other real benefit of CF forks would be weight which seems a bit perverse on a steel commuter.

Unless you already have a spare set of forks,

There's no technical reason as long as they're the right size headset, but most people find steel forks pretty comfortable so the only other real benefit of CF forks would be weight which seems a bit perverse on a steel commuter.

Unless you already have a spare set of forks,

I do have a spare set, as I was thinking to reuse the ones on my bike at the moment, but the idea came also looking at this one, which I think looks fab... and it's blue! :o
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/surly-pacer-9208

Anyway, it looks like nobody sells Surly in Ireland, or anywhere else... :(

I do have a spare set, as I was thinking to reuse the ones on my bike at the moment, but the idea came also looking at this one, which I think looks fab... and it's blue! :o
    http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/surly-pacer-9208

Anyway, it looks like nobody sells Surly in Ireland, or anywhere else... :(

Build-a-Bike on Capel St sell them but they usually only have a single Surly frame in stock, if any.

They'll have to order one for you.

There's a Blue Pacer around Rathmines and it's even more beautiful in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I race a surly cross check cx bike. Absolutely lovely frame to ride. Bought it from the lass in build a bike and built it up.

Build-a-Bike on Capel St sell them but they usually only have a single Surly frame in stock, if any.

They'll have to order one for you.

There's a Blue Pacer around Rathmines and it's even more beautiful in real life.

I found them on bike24, but now I don't know about that disco tomato color anymore...
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    I race a surly cross check cx bike. Absolutely lovely frame to ride. Bought it from the lass in build a bike and built it up.

What do you have on the cross check lennymc... Is it a normal road groupset? And what about the brakes? I'm not really familiar with cyclocross bikes... Will it take normal calipers? I probably will never fit anything more than a 28mm tyre...
    Is it the type of frame that could also make a rain/winter bike?

Also looking at the Kaffenback, but I don't really like the sloping geometry of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Cycleways Cyclebike/BuildABike have a few built Surly bikes, I'd imagine they'd be able get in a frame.

The Pacer looks a lovely bike, I was looking at one recently with a friend. All the mudguard/rack eyelets and full clearance.

OldBean wrote: »
    Cycleways have a few built Surly bikes, I'd imagine they'd be able get in a frame.

The Pacer looks a lovely bike, I was looking at one recently with a friend. All the mudguard/rack eyelets and full clearance.

Looks lovely alright... Now I'm intrigued with the Cross Check too!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Other steel framed, commute friendly bikes would be the Kona Honky Tonk or Genesis Equilibrium.. Not sure how easy they are to get frame only, mind.

OldBean wrote: »
    Other steel framed, commute friendly bikes would be the Kona Honky Tonk or Genesis Equilibrium.. Not sure how easy they are to get frame only, mind.

I'm commuting on a Genesis at the moment... It's the alu version of the Equilibrium and I love it. Both mine and the Equilibrium mount CF forks. The Equilibrium frame is cream though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've had a spin on a Genesis and they are a wonderful bike to ride. I'd love one.

And lovely in orange. Yum.

555618DSC2032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What do you have on the cross check lennymc... Is it a normal road groupset? And what about the brakes? I'm not really familiar with cyclocross bikes... Will it take normal calipers? I probably will never fit anything more than a 28mm tyre...
    Is it the type of frame that could also make a rain/winter bike?

Also looking at the Kaffenback, but I don't really like the sloping geometry of it...

Currently its running single speed, but it will take pretty much any groupset. I like to tinker and change configurations of the bikes, which is the main reason I bought it. i had it running 10 speed with a power meter for the CX nationals!! The CX brakes are cantilevers. They arent as good as road calipers, but ive still managed to do a stoppie on it when someone pulled out in front of me. I love the old classic geometry, so this really appeals to me. All the practicality that i could every want. I really do love riding it.

lennymc wrote: »
    Currently its running single speed, but it will take pretty much any groupset. I like to tinker and change configurations of the bikes, which is the main reason I bought it. i had it running 10 speed with a power meter for the CX nationals!! The CX brakes are cantilevers. They arent as good as road calipers, but ive still managed to do a stoppie on it when someone pulled out in front of me. I love the old classic geometry, so this really appeals to me. All the practicality that i could every want. I really do love riding it.

Thanks lennymc, I spent the last 2 days looking at cyclocross bikes and they look pretty cool, but honestly I don't think I'd go for one. The reason mostly being that this has to be commuter, but also a winter bike that I can use for club spins, etc...
    I love the look of the Pacer, but I'm not sure about that red disco tomato... I shall wait for another while and keep my Genesis rolling in the meantime.

There's also the cross check disc aka the Straggler in...purple.

There's also the cross check disc aka the Straggler in...purple.

Disc? Purple? Ehm.... No, thanks.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

you can only buy it as a frameset afaik, so you'd be left with a steel fork to sell on.

Advertisement