Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wladimir Klitschko vs Shannon Briggs

Options
  • 26-04-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

What's the taught on this happening? I think whoever is behind sending Briggs over to Germany to gatecrash everything is doing a good marketing job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

Won't happen. Briggs was good in his day but he is 42 now and there is long list of people ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I just think theres something behind him getting into shape to travel to Germany. From following the press stuff in the lead up to tonight he seems to be getting a lot of air time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Couldn't be sanctioned in good conscience. Plenty of contenders out there, Briggs isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Alex Leapai a punchbag with gloves on against the Klit what a disgrace

barney4001 wrote: »
    Alex Leapai a punchbag with gloves on against the Klit what a disgrace

Leapai was the mandatory as he beat Boytsov. I don't see what the disgrace is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Leapai was the mandatory as he beat Boytsov. I don't see what the disgrace is.

Exactly.

Both brothers have all the put away all opposition they have faced for 10+ years now. No one has even come close to touching them

Sooner or later people must give credit where credit is due.

I do agree that it's harder to give Wlad much credit when his brother put away all the real threats.

What Wlad did to Povetkin last year was incredibly impressive, destroyed one of the best heavies out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Farmlife wrote: »
    What's the taught on this happening? I think whoever is behind sending Briggs over to Germany to gatecrash everything is doing a good marketing job
    Briggs is a joke. I want to see Deontay Wilder get a shot.

28 years old

6ft7

230lbs

31 fights

31 wins

31 by KO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

What Wlad did to Povetkin last year was incredibly impressive, destroyed one of the best heavies out there.

You have to be kidding. That was easily one of the worst fights I've ever seen in my life. It was a disgrace from Wlad. He beat a guy by simply leaning on him and clinching all night. The ref gave Pov counts after Klit just wrestled him to the ground and there was no punch. Sure he beat him easily but the manner in which he beat him was disgusting.

If Fury beats Chisora I'd love to see him have a shot. As he doesn't seem to care about fighting Haye anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Farmlife wrote: »
    As he doesn't seem to care about fighting Haye anymore

Why would he when Hayes pulled out twice and is now in retirement?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Briggs is a joke. I want to see Deontay Wilder get a shot.

28 years old

6ft7

230lbs

31 fights

31 wins

31 by KO

now yer talkin

You have to be kidding. That was easily one of the worst fights I've ever seen in my life. It was a disgrace from Wlad. He beat a guy by simply leaning on him and clinching all night. The ref gave Pov counts after Klit just wrestled him to the ground and there was no punch. Sure he beat him easily but the manner in which he beat him was disgusting.

Nobody cares if you enjoyed it or not, Wlad beat the hell out of him for 12 rounds. If WK was leaning excessively then it's the referees job to reprimand him, indeed he was deducted a point in the 11th.

Would you rather he take punches for your enjoyment? Wlad is the 2nd longest reigning champ in heavyweight history, undefeated in 10 years and not even remotely challenged in 8 years, this is because he fights effectively and carefully. Wlad is safety first, if he was gung-ho for your pleasure he wouldn't be champ today and would be a fading memory.

He will go down in history as a true great. Louis had more defences but against the well known bum of the month club, at least Wlad fights heavyweights. He has cleaned out the division and people claim he is taking easy fights, sure Leapai was an easy fight, because THERE'S NOBODY LEFT TO FIGHT AND HE WAS A MANDATORY. It's not difficult to understand.

Wilder you say? Wilder himself will tell you he's not ready. WK can only fight those who are willing to get in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

The Klit documentary is on ITV 4 tonight for anyone interested. Havant seen it myself, made in 2011 so a bit dated...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,742 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He will go down in history as a true great. Louis had more defences but against the well known bum of the month club, at least Wlad fights heavyweights..

Louis fought HWs too.

Of course, but the bast majority of his BOTMC were under 200lbs, modern day cruiserweights

Why would he when Hayes pulled out twice and is now in retirement?:confused:

Haye will fight again, he said he still wants the Fury fight (I don't believe this) and is also rumoured to be talking about a fight with Bermane Stiverne

• Registered Users Posts: 54,742 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Of course, but the bast majority of his BOTMC were under 200lbs, modern day cruiserweights

That's irrelevant. Above 175 lbs was HW back then. I could say that Klit is fighting men smaller than he. Obviously smaller. I don't. Because that too is irrelevant, and he has to be ready to face any man on earth. He's the HW champ.

walshb wrote: »
    That's irrelevant. Above 175 lbs was HW back then. I could say that Klit is fighting men smaller than he. Obviously smaller. I don't. Because that too is irrelevant, and he has to be ready to face any man on earth. He's the HW champ.

Yeah, TBH I think it's irrelevant too, but a lot of people say WK made a career out of fighting smaller men, just want to highlight Joe Louis did it too. But WK is fighting the highest level of opposition possible, just in case that's not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The likes of Leapai, Pianeta and Jean Marc Mormeck have been extremely disappointing opposition when there are a number of better options out there. Of course a lot of that is down to boxers avoiding Wlad too.

The likes of Leapai, Pianeta and Jean Marc Mormeck have been extremely disappointing opposition when there are a number of better options out there. Of course a lot of that is down to boxers avoiding Wlad too.

....as previously explained, they were mandatories.

• Advertisement
Advertisement