Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Control Suggestions

Options
  • 26-04-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭

Situation: I have a HP Proliant ML310e desktop style server.
    It has some 12 temp sensors on board covering everything I might like to monitor and a lot more :) I can read those temps when running a Linux OS.

Its firmware controls the fans unless an 'approved' (I believe) operating system is installed which runs some software to allow OS control. I do not KNOW this as I have never seen it, only read references to such.

In any case I will not be running a commercial OS on this server. I intend it for use as a HTPC backend which will be very lightly used. I had hoped to place it in the living room, but it is just too damned noisy ...... the fans are ramped up unnecessarily.

So my only option (besides the approved OS) would appear to be to control the fans from whichever OS I install. It will be some variant of Linux.

Is there some open source software available which will monitor the temps I choose, and interface with some hardware controller to which I can attach the two fans?

I would probably also have to plug in some dummy load and freq generator to each of the fan outputs on the motherboard, to fool the firmware into thinking all is well, but that should not be too difficult.

It is the combination of monitoring software and suitable hardware for fan speed control that I need.

All suggestions welcome ...... having no luck searching, but that might quite easily be down to search terms used :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

lm-sensors, be in every distros package manager Id assume

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/ProjectInformation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stuxnet wrote: »
    lm-sensors, be in every distros package manager Id assume

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/ProjectInformation

Yes ...... also fancontrol and pwmconfig ........ but it is not the monitoring software that concerns me, but how to physically control the fans based on the monitoring.

The fans will need to be disconnected from the motherboard and plugged into ......... ??? ...... whose output is in turn controlled by the OS software.

Any ideas about what '???' might be?

Thanks.

Advertisement