Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a career in GIS and Remote sensing?

• 26-04-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I was hoping someone on here could help me out. I've a BA in Geography and Psychology 2:2 and I am considering applying for masters in GIS and remote sensing in UCC.

So is there a career in GIS and remote sensing?

I have talked to the course coordinator and she was very nice and seemed positive but I was hoping someone on here has personal experience and could give me some advise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Hi Buggeroo, I had a BA in Geography and another subject as well. We touched on GIS in Geography and I found it interesting.
    I went and worked for free for a few weeks in a GIS team to get some experience and ended up staying for 15 months.

Went and done the MSc in UCC then but found I learned more in a few months of working experience that I done in a full year there.
    I managed to get a GIS related job from it but there's not too many positions floating around at the minute, particularly if your coming into it from a Geography background rather than a IT background. However, there are some contract related positions.

A significant number of GIS related jobs in Ireland are public or semi state jobs at the minute so there's not too much permanent employment opportunities.

Drop me a PM is you need any more advice. I could write an essay on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Buggeroo

Thanks Manzoor14. Really appreciate it.

As you were saying everything I have been reading seems to suggest having a primary qualification and then having GIS that compliments it.

The last thing I want is to spend a year doing a Msc and ending up back where I am now.

Ive applied anyway but Ill keep my options open.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

No problem. Also i'd recommend keeping an eye on irlogi.ie. They're the overall organisation for GI in Ireland.
    Keep an eye out for free webinars, training courses etc that might be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Hi Buggeroo, I have an MSc in GIS and Remote Sensing from Maynooth, and worked for a company based in the College for a while. As Manzoor said, I did find that jobs were few and far between though, an odd one with OSI or local authority offices. Ended up out of the area now unfortunately. Its a really interesting area though, best of luck with it!

Advertisement