Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce (UCC) vs Economics (with Arts, Ucc)

Options
  • 26-04-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I am in fifth year and do business studies and don't know which to pick, between the above two and business information systems.
    Not sure how good you have to be at computers, or how fast.
    Anyway I do Business studies and would like to go into retail or set up my own business.
    which would you recommend Commerce, BIS or Economics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

I have just finished my first year of Commerce in UCC,exams starting next week! If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. Overall I've enjoyed the course its very broad in 1st Year so there will be 1 or 2 modules http://www.ucc.ie/en/ck201/ which you may not enjoy so much, but as you seem to have a good interest in business you should like it! After 3rd year you pick a subject area to major in (Business Economics,Food Business and Development,Government,Law,Management,Marketing) so you have time to sample everything and have a better idea of what you'd like to see yourself doing after college!
    As regards BIS I know plenty of people doing it and experience working with computers before you start the course is certainly not essential, everything is started from scratch so everyone is on a level playing field. BIS is split between business and computer modules, so if you have an interest in both those it's a great course to do!
    I don't know much about the Economics module in Arts but I'm sure it doesn't differ too much from the one provided for in both BIS/Commerce. However bear in mind you will have to pick 3 other modules to do in 1st year along with Economics with your Arts degree which may be less business-orientated.

Advertisement