Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parklife - 20 years old today

• 25-04-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭

Hard to believe really. Was just listening to The Great Escape earlier for the first time in years and it struck me how ****ing awful it sounds today. Stuck on Parklife - different beast. Brilliant record - lots of folk rate late Blur records as their peak but for me Parklife is by some distance their best. 20 years old though - hard to credit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I still there's a lot of good stuff on The Great Escape but it was never up to the standards of the two albums before it. And far better than everything that came after it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

mosstin wrote: »
    Hard to believe really. Was just listening to The Great Escape earlier for the first time in years and it struck me how ****ing awful it sounds today. Stuck on Parklife - different beast. Brilliant record - lots of folk rate late Blur records as their peak but for me Parklife is by some distance their best. 20 years old though - hard to credit.

If you thought Parklife was great check out Modern Life is Rubbish that's even better. But I loved them as cheeky cockney laddie's, Albarn really was the modern day Ray Davis wasn't he. I like Stuff like Blur, 13 and Think Tank even like Great Escape which you seem to hate but for having The Universal and Best Days it deserves a pass. But Modern life is Rubbish/Parklife and Demon Days are Albarn's masterpieces.

anyway love Tracey Jacks and Message from Trouble Centre both could have been singles for me but This is a Low is the real masterpiece from that album, Coxon really is the reason Parklife works his guitar playing is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In before old people saying how old they feel and how they remember it like it was yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

MadYaker wrote: »
    In before old people saying how old they feel and how they remember it like it was yesterday!

God I do feel old :pac: thanks for reminding me.

Ah the Britpop years were great for a while, you had something great come out every week nearly. from 1994 to 1997.

Elastica-Elastica
    Oasis- Definitely Maybe/WTSMG
    Pulp- Different Class
    Supergrass- I Should Coco/In it For the Money
    Radiohead- The Bends/Ok Computer
    The Verve- Northern Soul/Urban Hymns

some great stuff released during that time, so a great time to grow up in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Looper007 wrote: »
    God I do feel old :pac: thanks for reminding me.

Ah the Britpop years were great for a while, you had something great come out every week nearly. from 1994 to 1997.

Elastica-Elastica
    Oasis- Definitely Maybe/WTSMG
    Pulp- Different Class
    Supergrass- I Should Coco/In it For the Money
    Radiohead- The Bends/Ok Computer
    The Verve- Northern Soul/Urban Hymns

some great stuff released during that time, so a great time to grow up in.

And Suede... suede, dog man star, coming up.

Radiohead The Bends was of that time alright, but I look on OK computer as being post- Brit Pop and the dawning of a terribly boring phase that they and Coldplay dominated and we've not come out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Gambas wrote: »
    Radiohead The Bends was of that time alright, but I look on OK computer as being post- Brit Pop and the dawning of a terribly boring phase that they and Coldplay dominated and we've not come out of.
    Might be a bit off-topic, but lumping Radiohead and Coldplay in together like that seems a bit silly. Especially when you consider that in 2000 Coldplay were releasing radio-friendly alt. rock and Radiohead had done a u-turn with Kid A and were experimenting with electronic music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Thank you. Never understood the love for OK Computer, not a patch on The Bends IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

OK Computer to me is more like U2's 90s work, of the two albums The Bends has the track that could be argued to have influenced Coldplay the most - High and Dry. Other than that the two bands have little in common, but alas this thread is about Blur, so I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Think Tank is a brilliant Blur album. Parklife is very good too, but of its time. I don't think they could have made a Parklife after their late 90s alt albums, which are also very good. (IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

think tank is a very angry album imo, modern life is rubbish is great from start to finish, intermission is superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

'13' for me is the Blur album I listen to most. Just so much going on and it always draws me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

I always liked "Leisure"... :)

Anyone listening to Damon Albarn's solo album? Some good stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bf26

I like modern life is rubbish better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

lets not forget cast echobelly menswear boo radleys :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Parklife still remains a fantastic album 20 years on, even though it (unfairly) gets a lot of criticism for opening the floodgates for dozens of dubious Britpop bands.

'This Is A Low' is a masterpiece - I found it a nice touch to make that the penultimate track, followed by the wildly contrasting 'Lot 105' - a short reminder that 'Parklife' is a pop album :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Ok computer is the best album of the 90s. Shut up fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

buck65 wrote: »

Suicide music.

No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buck65 wrote: »

not even the best Radiohead album of the 90s

• Advertisement
Advertisement