Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know what?

Options
  • 25-04-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I'm completely pissed off with this game.
    Most of the time I play, XVM tells me that I have between a 25% and 40% chance to win. And the outcome of the game usually bears that out. Occasionally I get a good run but that is becomming few and far between.
    Is it too much to ask to have an even chance to win a game?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I turned those stats off in XVM. Unless you're playing a hundred games with those exact teams, then the chance is meaningless given the sample rate of just one game in those conditions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    I'm completely pissed off with this game.
    Most of the time I play, XVM tells me that I have between a 25% and 40% chance to win.....?
    I'm with Spear......ignore XVM win percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

My point is that it's happening too much. Over a lot of games, not just a few in isolation.
    When I look at the breakdown of the players before the game starts for example, I see a couple of good platoons on the opposing team while the team I'm on gets a couple of average or poor ones.
    The MM is pants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's not a skill based MM, every match will usually be the same mix of 9 tomatoes, 2 or 3 average and 2 or 3 good players.

Spear wrote: »
    It's not a skill based MM, every match will usually be the same mix of 9 tomatoes, 2 or 3 average and 2 or 3 good players.

Unfortunately that's not my experience of it.
    Far too often I look at the opposing team with all theirblue and green and then look at my team and there's a sea of red. Ususally with a group of 'have gun must shoot' types.
    Perhaps getting rid of XVM will improve my state of mind but the MM will still be a mess.
    9 tomatoes, heh heh.... Like it.

• Advertisement

I think there's also a degree of bias confirmation happening, you're more likely to notice your bad time and remember then corresponding loss, then the times you won with a bad/good team.

Spear wrote: »
    I think there's also a degree of bias confirmation happening, you're more likely to notice your bad time and remember then corresponding loss, then the times you won with a bad/good team.

Yeah, I know what you mean and I do try to factor that in. I think I'll keep XVM running for a week and record the average chance to win and win rate of those games. If it shows that I'm talking out of my poo pipe then so be it.

Tonight so far - 59% a win. 44% a loss. 26% a loss. 38% a loss. 29% a loss. 44% a loss. 80% a win.
    And before you say it, I don't want an 80% chance to win either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bet you're the player that moans on chat about XVM and how your teams sucks at the start of a round as well.

I've never used that mod. Just turn it off, everyone will be happier in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bet you're the player that moans on chat about XVM and how your teams sucks at the start of a round as well.

I've never used that mod. Just turn it off, everyone will be happier in the long run.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

One of the reasons I dont use that mod - I dont want to put myself in to underdog loser mindset before even 30sec timer goes off. The whole thing is more harmfull then helpful.

If your teams rating very low - you will be playing in "meh" state, as you wont take it seriously and expect a loss anyway.
    If your teams rating high - you might be a lot more cocky and take more risk then you should, just because you feel to be in better team.

Mind you, I am still horrible player. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

One of the reasons I dont use that mod - I dont want to put myself in to underdog loser mindset before even 30sec timer goes off. The whole thing is more harmfull then helpful.

If your teams rating very low - you will be playing in "meh" state, as you wont take it seriously and expect a loss anyway.
    If your teams rating high - you might be a lot more cocky and take more risk then you should, just because you feel to be in better team.

Mind you, I am still horrible player. :p
    I do use it, partly to see how I've managed to drag down my team before I've even turned on the ignition (if I can find it that is).

Beyond that I always play to try to deal out (steal) as much HP damage as I have in HPs myself. So if the stats are bad I'll play conservatively, even circle the wagons. If they're good I'll push the boat (TOG, tank?) out more. All with that goal in mind. Once- if- it's ever achieved I just try to deal out (steal) more HP damage and if possible kills (a dead tank is a non-HP 'stealing' tank).

WR is always (in a random world) going to trend towards 50% unless you're outside the realms of statistical norms- i.e. so good you (and your platoon) can swing a- maybe almost any- random match, or so bad likewise but in the opposite direction. Bear in mind I'm talking only random matches here, since by and large few folks would want to play with me.

This helps my mindset on teams where everyone is terrible or I'm largely responsible for it being so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im the same, i use it but i now have the chance to win switched off.

seriously, the game has become a whole lot more fun again not knowing how good or bad a team is!

Advertisement