Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ext. Bell tamper

Options
  • 25-04-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I am really hoping someone can help. I have a HKC Securewave alarm system, installed about 7 years ago. Today I was adding some vibration sensors, I was pulling some wires around the top left hand corner of the panel to get to the 12v output when all of a sudden I got spark. I had turned off the electricity but forgot about the battery. Now I am continually getting an Ext. Bell tamper message on my keypad. I got a 4k7 resistor and put it between the Tamper and Sabb Hold terminals trying to bypass the external bell tamper but still have the same problem.

Have i fried my board, can I disable the ext bell tamper, it would be very hard for someone to access my bell box. If I have fried the board would anyone happen to have an old securewatch board they have no use for.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Odellius wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am really hoping someone can help. I have a HKC Securewave alarm system, installed about 7 years ago. Today I was adding some vibration sensors, I was pulling some wires around the top left hand corner of the panel to get to the 12v output when all of a sudden I got spark. I had turned off the electricity but forgot about the battery. Now I am continually getting an Ext. Bell tamper message on my keypad. I got a 4k7 resistor and put it between the Tamper and Sabb Hold terminals trying to bypass the external bell tamper but still have the same problem.

Have i fried my board, can I disable the ext bell tamper, it would be very hard for someone to access my bell box. If I have fried the board would anyone happen to have an old securewatch board they have no use for.

Thanks

OK the resistor, is it the correct value and is it connected between Bell Hold Off and Tamper Return.......The only thing in the latter terminal should be just the resistor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ok first thing is to shut up the bell. Disconnect all the bell connections and put a resistor across the BHO and tamper return.
    That should clear the fault and the external bell will stop ringing after around 20 minutes.
    After that you need to check the panel is ok.
    Do you have the use of a multi meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Odellius

Thanks for the replies,

Kub, the resistor is 4k7, I disconnected the wires from the hold and the tamper and replaced with the resistor i.e. one end of the resistor into the tamper and the other in to the hold. This doesn't sound like what you are referring to?

Koolkid, when you say put the resistor across BHO and TR, do you mean disconnect the wires to the bell and replace with the resistor. I have a multimeter but need to get a new battery for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes.
    The bell outside may continue to ring for 20 minutes but the fault should clear.
    Disconnect all external bell connections for now.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yes.
    The bell outside may continue to ring for 20 minutes but the fault should clear.
    Disconnect all external bell connections for now.

I tried that earlier on with the resistor in both ways and the fault did not clear, should I reset the system or should it clear itself?

• Advertisement

If all the external bell connections are disconncetd and the resistor is across BHO and tamper return you should not be getting bell tamper.
    Try power the system down and up again.

If all the external bell connections are disconncetd and the resistor is across BHO and tamper return you should not be getting bell tamper.
    Try power the system down and up again.

I might not get trying that til tomorrow, don't want to be driving the neighbours mad, just one thing though, if I do as you suggest and the message goes, will I not have any bell connected, what should I do then?

Correct. It's a process of elimination.
    Get it working then add the bell cable by cable and check what happens.

Correct. It's a process of elimination.
    Get it working then add the bell cable by cable and check what happens.

Hi koolkid, tried disconnecting all of the external bell wires and I put the resistor across bho and tamper and power cycled the system and still getting the ext bell tamper message.

Is there a way to set up the system to ignore tampers until I get this sorted, don't like not being able to set my alarm when not home.

Thanks for your help

Once you have the panel some bit back to normal and when you want to set the system, press ## (ie # twice). This should arm the system and bypass all open tamper circuits.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Once you have the panel some bit back to normal and when you want to set the system, press ## (ie # twice). This should arm the system and bypass all open tamper circuits.

Thanks kub, when I press ## as you say I get an invalid key message on my keypad,

I can omit the tampers for individual zones by pressing 0 code # tamper no. Yes but I do not know how to disable the bell tamper

Doesn't look good.
    Sounds like you could have a problem with the board itself.

Doesn't look good.
    Sounds like you could have a problem with the board itself.

Thats what I was thinking, do you know where I would pick up a securewatch board, I dont want to have to get a new keypad and other bits

Most suppliers would have these. Where are you located?

Most suppliers would have these. Where are you located?

In Drogheda, how much do they usually cost?

REW in Finglas should have them as pcb only. Around €100. If it's any more you would be better getting a new panel and keypad.

REW in Finglas should have them as pcb only. Around €100. If it's any more you would be better getting a new panel and keypad.

Didnt realise they would be that expensive. While I'm waiting to pick one up do you know how I can arm the alarm with the tamper message ignored

Just one other suggestion, can you source a negative supply from the main 12 volt output, then connect the negative from there in series with your resistor to the Tam Ret?

Worth a shot. However I have found with HKC all negatives are not common as they are in other panels.

Worth a shot. However I have found with HKC all negatives are not common as they are in other panels.

Gave it a go, no joy unfortunately, hate having to pay €100 for something I broke myself :-(

• Advertisement

Gave it a go, no joy unfortunately, hate having to pay €100 for something I broke myself :-(

Could have been worse, you could have injured yourself.

Have you any HKC wireless devices on that system?
    If not, I would recommend adding an extra few euros and upgrade it with a Siemens panel. Plenty more features & at least if you ever have any problems in the future your going to have the ability to isolate & use the system.

Advertisement