Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeymoon

Options
  • 25-04-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All, We are getting married the end of next May, and are planning a honeymoon for June next year. We have a few ideas:

- Vegas, San Francisco, then either Hawaii or maybe St Lucas.
    - Drive the coast from San Fran down to San Diego then get in a few days on a beech somewhere to finish it off.

We would love a nice relaxing trip, where we can go site seeing, or partying, or just lie by a pool or on a beech all in one!!

We have done a lot of travelling around Europe, and we plan to do a lot more, but we have never really been any further so we want to go on big one for the honeymoon.

Would be great if there was any advice on these places, or even others, we have nothing planned and are open to suggestions.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

We were in San Francisco for 5 days on our honeymoon, end of October into the start of November. Amazing city and definitely one we'll get back to someday.
    Apparently we had the best of the weather. Didn't rain and temps were up between 17 and 23 every day. I have heard that summer there can be very cold and damp due to the fog that cones in.
    Mark Twain "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"
    oscar19 wrote: »
    Hi All, We are getting married the end of next May, and are planning a honeymoon for June next year. We have a few ideas:

- Vegas, San Francisco, then either Hawaii or maybe St Lucas.
    - Drive the coast from San Fran down to San Diego then get in a few days on a beech somewhere to finish it off.

We would love a nice relaxing trip, where we can go site seeing, or partying, or just lie by a pool or on a beech all in one!!

We have done a lot of travelling around Europe, and we plan to do a lot more, but we have never really been any further so we want to go on big one for the honeymoon.

Would be great if there was any advice on these places, or even others, we have nothing planned and are open to suggestions.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Where is St. Lucas? I googled it but can only find a place in Iowa... that can't be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Koh Samui, Thailand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Where is St. Lucas? I googled it but can only find a place in Iowa... that can't be right?

St Lucia??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 oscar19

Sorry I meant St Lucia. Any tips??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

We have gotten a quote for January 2015, four days las vegas, two days miami and a 7 night cruise - taking in Jamaica, cayman islands and mexico, for 3,200 euro for both of us.
    we had intially gone to big name brand travel agents and she actually laughed at our budget of circa 3,000 euro for two week holiday!!!
    We ended up going to creation travel Limerick and the lady there was brill.

We havent actually booked it yet as I we are just double checking if we cant book it cheaper ourselves but for that price I think I would rather let and agent take care of everything.

Hi Birdie086.

€3200 sounds like a great deal.

Do you think 2 days is enough in Miami? We were looking at cruises and the main one we kept getting was 5 days in Orlando and a week of a cruise. I would like to see Miami if we went that far.

Do you think you will have any extra protection going through the agent or is it just for your own piece of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

We wanted to go to Las Vegas and do a cruise and it worked out that we would be staying in miami for one night as a stopover so I asked the travel agent to price it for two nights, to give a little more time.

She originally recommended a five night cruise but for a little more money and a slightly less luxurious ship(we have never been cruising so will make no difference to us) we got the seven night cruise taking in more stops.

We still haven't confirmed as I have been spending time to see If I can come up with a better price, however I can't seem to be the agent on this one!!

As regards using an agent, I have never been stateside before and would rather someone who knew what they doing took care of stuff.

Try american holidays.com they seem to have great mutlicentre/cruise holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Zazza1

Hi OP,

Did you decide yet? It's so hard to know what to do! Nice predicament though! :)

Thanks

No decisions made yet Zazza1!!!
    We have got a few prices for Vegas and Mexico, best I have got so far is €3900 for 4 nights in the MGM in Vegas and 11 nights in Cancun.

It is a great predicament to have, but I honestly have no idea anymore, the more I look the more places I want to go. Then everywhere I want to go always has something wrong with it!!

Have you any plans yet? We have our hearts set on Vegas! Then we want a nice relaxing honeymoon where we can do what ever takes our mood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Vegas isn't the best place to go as a couple and you'll definitely herb enough in 4 nights there.

We did 4 nights there (albeit) at the end of a 19 day trip last year.

It was good but I wouldn't go back with herself - would love to go back with a bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

Have to disagree about Vegas, i'm always hearing that 3 or 4 nights is enough and I just cant believe that people say that. We were there for 5 nights last year and it was just amazing. We definitely didnt think that was enough time and we're planning on going back. There is just so much to do, brilliant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Zazza1

We're only starting to look properly to be honest, probably a bit late already!! We're hoping for something like that too, a mix of a really luxurious beach destination (sure when are ya ever going to have the excuse to treat yourself so much again!!), and maybe something like driving along the West Coast of the States as well.

Would love somewhere really tropical, has anyone any advice on places like The Maldives/ Hawaii/Barbados etc? Looked into Bora Bora but seems to be €1,500 a night in most of the hotels!!!

2 of my friends did Mexico and Vegas on their honeymoons and they loved Vegas but weren't mad about Cancun, apparently it's quite dangerous outside of the resort (corrupt police/mugging etc) and ya don't want to spend the whole time not being able to leave the resort! but that might just be their experience!

We had a good look around at the weekend and we have almost decided to go with 4-5 nights in Vegas, then about 10 nights in Cancun. This is where we find our next issue.

Apparently there is a hotel district in Cancun, like a strip of hotels along the beach, we would like to stay in some of these hotels. Some of the other resorts are away from everything else and are about a half hour taxi drive to everything else, I'd get board of this very quick. Does any know if this is right, or are all the hotels/resorts close enough to each other. Any suggestions on a good resort in Cancun?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladybird37

Hi,
    I was in Cancun last year. The place is paradise and would definitely recommend it for a honeymoon. We stayed in a resort called Dreams Resort & Spa and it was by far the nicest place I have ever stayed, the food, staff and facilities were all excellent.

We left the resort many times for shopping, drinks or food outside and I have to say I didn't feel unsafe and luckily we didn't have any trouble or even notice any mugging/corruption. (which can happen anywhere to be honest) Once you use your usual common sense and don't go too far off the beaten track you will be fine.

There is also many excursions that are really worth doing and seeing ie. The Chichen Itza is something I will never forget.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about, and this is petty-While shopping they expect you to barter with absolutely everything, nothing has a price sticker! Now because I am the worlds worst haggler this probably says more about me than it does against Cancun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

oscar19 wrote: »
    We had a good look around at the weekend and we have almost decided to go with 4-5 nights in Vegas, then about 10 nights in Cancun. This is where we find our next issue.

Apparently there is a hotel district in Cancun, like a strip of hotels along the beach, we would like to stay in some of these hotels. Some of the other resorts are away from everything else and are about a half hour taxi drive to everything else, I'd get board of this very quick. Does any know if this is right, or are all the hotels/resorts close enough to each other. Any suggestions on a good resort in Cancun?

We are thinking the same but with 3 nights in NYC between Vegas & Cancun.

Have you been using a travel agent or just pricing yourselves?

Ladybird37 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was in Cancun last year. The place is paradise and would definitely recommend it for a honeymoon. We stayed in a resort called Dreams Resort & Spa and it was by far the nicest place I have ever stayed, the food, staff and facilities were all excellent.

We left the resort many times for shopping, drinks or food outside and I have to say I didn't feel unsafe and luckily we didn't have any trouble or even notice any mugging/corruption. (which can happen anywhere to be honest) Once you use your usual common sense and don't go too far off the beaten track you will be fine.

There is also many excursions that are really worth doing and seeing ie. The Chichen Itza is something I will never forget.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about, and this is petty-While shopping they expect you to barter with absolutely everything, nothing has a price sticker! Now because I am the worlds worst haggler this probably says more about me than it does against Cancun.

Thats great to hear. We have been looking at the Dreams Resort and Spa, it does look amazing. Is it near other hotels or is it out on its own? I wouldn't mind the haggling, would be a bit of fun!!

We are thinking the same but with 3 nights in NYC between Vegas & Cancun.

Have you been using a travel agent or just pricing yourselves?

We have been using Travel agents, I have prices from 2, both around €3800 for 4-5 nights vegas and 10 nights cancan. I tried having a look myself and I'm coming in about the same price, so I think I will go with the agent just to be sure. Is it not a lot of flying to go from Vegas to New York then New York to Cancun? We were Thinking of maybe a couple of days in LA between them, but we're looking forward to it so much now we might go straight to Cancun.

Advertisement