Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to book elective section

Options
  • 24-04-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

As the title says I would prefer to have an elective section for baby no 3 after previous section.

I have my antenatal appointment this week and I'll be 26 weeks.

This will be my first time seeing the consultant for this pregnancy. I know they won't perform the section until 38-39weeks but will they allow me to book a date at this appointment?

I have SPD and quite frankly I am already in a lot of pain with 2 small kids to look after. I guess I just want to know that the end is in sight.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You probably won't get a date until closer to the time but ask away, it's definitely up to the hospital and consultant how far in advance they book things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi op im the same as you 21 weeks
    On no 3
    Consultant said that id go in on the day i turn 39 weeks.
    Whether thats true or not i wont know but it will all depend on baby and me closer to time.

At least she gave me a date that i would not go past 29 aug rather than saying " ah sure we will see"

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

My experience for my 3 sections, was that the consultant has a day they operate on and they book you in between 38-39 weeks on that date.

On number 3 I was only 38+1 on the operating date, so we waited until 39+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Immy wrote: »
    My experience for my 3 sections, was that the consultant has a day they operate on and they book you in between 38-39 weeks on that date.

On number 3 I was only 38+1 on the operating date, so we waited until 39+1.

Yes my consultant had a slot I was booked in for both times, Monday mornings. Seems especially common if you're a private patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

It's preferable to leave it til 39 weeks IF all is well with mother and baby and there are no pressing reasons to go earlier. This greatly decreases the risk of respiratory morbidity which is higher in babies delivered by elective section.

I'm booked in at the moment for 39+1 and hoping to make it there if at all possible, though I've been warned that they'll take me in a week earlier if anything at all looks off. I was booked in at my 34 week appointment even though it was looking like a section was inevitable from 24 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement