Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Environmental Science

Options
  • 24-04-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Currently in 6th year and im really considering doing the course in ul. Anyone have any advice or even anyone who did this course it would be great to get feedback.

Also when I do have a degree what sort of job could i get out of it and what the pay would be like? What are the sort of things you would be doing everyday?

I would defiantly think of going abroad too, so is it a good job to travel around with? Would like to go to canada or australia.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Never done that degree, but it's probably very similar to the other ones out there (some differences but it's all the same thing at the end of the day). Like all science courses there'll be a fair bit of work, labs etc... Be expected to do chemistry and maths but don't stress if they're not your strong point, most universities will have some sort of an access module to bring you up to speed (they had a common entry chemistry module in UCD for undergrads as most people didn't do chemistry in the leaving cert, I'd imagine UL isn't too different).

Pay and job are varied, best bet is to have a look at Earthworks. I'd keep my eye out on the graduate training schemes, lots of companies have some sort of two year scheme. I remember talking to people out of Jameson Distillery who look for environmental scientists as they need to QC the water.

Abroad is what seems to be the thing now, and it's definitely a good course to go with. Keep your options open though, see how you like the course first. See what aspects of Environmental Science interest you as it's an incredibly broad field. Look into getting some summer work experience, talk to the EPA or your county council, anything even if it's just washing sampling bottles or making tea (you might get lucky and see some GIS being done!). In the mean time don't stress about jobs yet, concentrate on the actual studies and potentially doing some sort of volunteering at a county council or something.

Just keep an open mind you never know what you might find yourself interested in with this course.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

69cokaz wrote: »
    Also when I do have a degree what sort of job could i get out of it and what the pay would be like? What are the sort of things you would be doing everyday?

So young, so optimistic :o

Don't expect to make money. For some reason, you'll find that most consultancies look for someone with a Civil Engineering or Hydrogeology background, and the market is extremely competitive.

Lab analysts aren't paid well, and aren't highly regarded.

Good luck though!

So young, so optimistic :o

Don't expect to make money. For some reason, you'll find that most consultancies look for someone with a Civil Engineering or Hydrogeology background, and the market is extremely competitive.

Lab analysts aren't paid well, and aren't highly regarded.

Good luck though!

I'd disagree with you there, especially on that highlighted point. Some people might overlook lab technicians but that's pretty foolish and short-sighted of them. You cannot expect to have data for interpretation if it isn't collected properly. I know with XRD if the sample preparation isn't careful, especially with clay minerals (i.e. <2 microns) then you're going to be in a lot of trouble trying to discern mixed layer illite/smectite. Good lab technicians are the backbone of good data analysis, doesn't matter if it's washing bottles or preparing samples ICP-MS, every single step is crucial and requires consistency, fastidiousness, and care. Also, I've also met plenty of people who've started out as lab technicians and at least two of them ended up starting their companies. So it's possible to do very well, it just requires a lot of hard work (as most things do).

The market is competitive and tough (Ireland is shocking), no point mincing words here. However, it's not impossible and it requires demonstrating; experience, skills, willingness to learn & travel, and an open mind. That probably sounds incredibly cliched and wishy-washy (especially the last one) but it's better than nothing. ;)

Sure, if all else fails we can sell paper! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Actually I do know an analyst who started his own company and seems to be doing well, but I know in my (completely commercial) lab, analysts are given a copy of the SOP and told to just follow it. They don't need to understand any of the theory behind it.
    The ones I know are either paid sweet FA or given temp contracts and dropped as soon as they aren't needed.

I also know a fair few labs who hired analysts/process scientists 5-10 years ago who had no third level qualifications. You were just expected to learn on the job.

Big money is in pharma research labs and QC, but short term contracting is major league stressful.

Actually I do know an analyst who started his own company and seems to be doing well, but I know in my (completely commercial) lab, analysts are given a copy of the SOP and told to just follow it. They don't need to understand any of the theory behind it.
    The ones I know are either paid sweet FA or given temp contracts and dropped as soon as they aren't needed.

Ah fair enough. Coming from an academic/small firm setting, we rely on good lab technicians (e.g. usually because the last time an academic was in a laboratory you were still able to smoke). Horses for courses I suppose.
    Big money is in pharma research labs and QC, but short term contracting is major league stressful.

Spot on there. I know a couple of geologists that have gotten into doing some stuff for pharmaceuticals, they have a lot of money to throw around. Oil and gas is the same, there's always a need for lab workers, especially since they're trying to have more onsite work (they're now using bench-top XRDs for clay mineralogy which is pretty mental).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP, good luck with leaving cert. I did env sc at UL. It's a very broad syllabus, chem, biology, ecology, bit of physics and maths, then later on more chemistry, industrial related chemistry, pollution control etc. It offers you a good chance to specialize, but to get a job now days you really need at least a masters and even then it's not guaranteed.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

Yeah im pretty sure im going to do it now, what did you go onto do after, get a job or further studies and what did the other people in the course do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Back to the 'dirty fingernail club' same as what I was at before college:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement