Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost brother

Options
  • 24-04-2014 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm looking for my adopted brother. Born march 18 1983. It was done through st. Patricks adoption agency and they've been no help. Can anyone help me and tell me how they found their family members?
    I have no last name as the social workers wouldn't give it to us. His name is Conner and living in Dublin. If anyone cam help me please do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

If you check out the adoption alliance website you will get ideas - they have links to handbooks to assist siblings. I think the key is to get his adoption certificate as this may show his address when adopted and you can work from there.
    Best of luck - hope you are successful.
    Also have you registered your details on the National Adoption Contact Preference Register? You may be lucky to find he is also looking for his natural family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 searching sister cork

Thank you,I'm just getting on to all that now. I really hope so. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

Best of luck it may seem a hard task but keep searching it will be well worth it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 mqq

I'm looking for my adopted brother. Born march 18 1983. It was done through st. Patricks adoption agency and they've been no help. Can anyone help me and tell me how they found their family members?
    I have no last name as the social workers wouldn't give it to us. His name is Conner and living in Dublin. If anyone cam help me please do.

Everyone will help you if he/she knows !

Best of luck it may seem a hard task but keep searching it will be well worth it

I know.. It would be so worth it to finally find him. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Does anybody know how cooperative the GRO are with these cases? And can I just go in or do I have to call first or whats the story?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does anybody know how cooperative the GRO are with these cases? And can I just go in or do I have to call first or whats the story?

You can search for the original birthcertificate, easily enough- it will be under your mother's maiden name- thereafter you're looking at matching it up with possible matches from the Adopted Children's Register.

Typically- once you have the original birth cert- and a number of matches (you may have 4 or 5) a good next step would be to try to find out when the adoption order was granted (normally around a year after placement).

If you can figure this out- from the Adopted Children's register- you could look at historic issues of Iris Oifigiul- which contained adoptive parents details up to late 1985 (you're actually lucky with your timing). You then have 4-5 matches, along with where the family home was that they were adopted into.

Now it gets complicated- you're going to need to figure how to track all matches to the current day- and then which one is the one in question.

What some of us have done- is used social media and other means- to get photographs etc- and if we thought there might be a match- gone to the Adoption Authority stating we were going to make contact. Normally they'd say if you had a wrong match- but simply something along the lines of 'under no circumstances should you contact them' - if its a match (it depends on the person you get- but you get the picture).

It is a bit more difficult coming at things from this direction- as you almost inevitably have multiple matches- and you need to figure some manner of trying to discern which is the right match. An adopted person can ask for non-identifying information- for help in tracing from that direction- but you have no similar fall-back.

We have the Adoption Ireland Traceguides hosted here.

Kind regards,

The_Conductor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If you can figure this out- from the Adopted Children's register- you could look at historic issues of Iris Oifigiul- which contained adoptive parents details up to late 1985 (you're actually lucky with your timing). You then have 4-5 matches, along with where the family home was that they were adopted into.

Hope ye don't mind me butting in here but I'm curious about the Adopted Children's register. It's not something I've consulted before and I'm wondering what it contains and where I can view it?

Thanks

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hermy wrote: »
    Hope ye don't mind me butting in here but I'm curious about the Adopted Children's register. It's not something I've consulted before and I'm wondering what it contains and where I can view it?

Thanks

Hi Hermy,

Its in the reading room- its like one of the year books that you're probably familiar with - but instead, its a record of adopted children, with their new adopted names (not their original names).

You have to ask for it specifically, its not available with the other books- but it is a public record that anyone can consult.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

I have completed a search for my son and what I did was to go to the GRO and match his date of birth with the entries in the adoption book, it is a painstaking job but with a little patience you will succeed, there are ref on the page that you will need in order to obtain his adoption cert from Roscommon. Best of luck to you in your search.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Does anyone know when writing off to the adoption agency for the first time to get non identifying information, is there any point giving the adoption certificate info - as in date of adoption order, reference?? I am typing up the letter for Dh and not sure if that info would make a difference or would his adoptive parents names and address, his dob be sufficient for them to locate his file?

And sorry for hogging this thread but where exactly do you go now to view the birth registers? I gather its not Irish Life Mall anymore?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Ghekko wrote: »
    And sorry for hogging this thread but where exactly do you go now to view the birth registers? I gather its not Irish Life Mall anymore?

The GRO is in Werburgh Street now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement