Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water has yellow tint.

Options
  • 24-04-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    Yesterday a plumber was over at my house trying to fix the inefficient heaters, he power flushed the radiators. After that the hot water in the whole house had a yellowish tint to it, the cold water was fine. I asked him why this happened and he said that there is a hole in the hot water cylinder and that it will need replacing. It was working completely fine in the morning before he came and suddenly the hot water is yellowish.

We emptied the hot water tank several times by letting it run out of the taps but nothing worked

Is this the plumbers fault and is this water safe for usage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi,
    Yesterday a plumber was over at my house trying to fix the inefficient heaters, he power flushed the radiators. After that the hot water in the whole house had a yellowish tint to it, the cold water was fine. I asked him why this happened and he said that there is a hole in the hot water cylinder and that it will need replacing. It was working completely fine in the morning before he came and suddenly the hot water is yellowish.

We emptied the hot water tank several times by letting it run out of the taps but nothing worked

Is this the plumbers fault and is this water safe for usage?

Sounds like a pinhole in your cylinder. Flushing would not cause this. It was probably just about to leak and maybe the flush exposed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 crazywaterspec

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sounds like a pinhole in your cylinder. Flushing would not cause this. It was probably just about to leak and maybe the flush exposed this.

Okay. What would the solution be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Is your system semi-sealed?
    If so, it could be fed from the main CWST & relying on a non-return valve which has failed. The flush has washed back into the tank.
    If so, convert to semi-sealed & drain & clean the CWST.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 crazywaterspec

Hmm.
    It seems that when the heating/boiler(downstairs) is on the hot water is yellow. I turned it off and let the hot water tank empty and then this time I only flicked the switch upstairs and the hot water is now clear. So confused..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

The yellow water is a symptom of a leak your plumber found. The pressure he applied to the system may have made the hole slightly bigger but the hole was there causeing damage before he arrived.
    Cylinder needs replaceing. It did before he was there he just found it.
    100 percent not his fault unless he climbed into the cylinder and cut the coil with a hacksaw.
    If you dont change the cylinder you are waiting on the constant feed of new water into the system to cause damage to the pipes and boiler.

• Advertisement

Hmm.
    It seems that when the heating/boiler(downstairs) is on the hot water is yellow. I turned it off and let the hot water tank empty and then this time I only flicked the switch upstairs and the hot water is now clear. So confused..
    When the heating water gets hot and pumped it pushes into the hotwater side of the cylinder. When the heating is off both sides are at roughly the same pressure so mostly stay to their own sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Replace cylinder that's it don't mess around with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Either way he needs to come back to investigate.

Both previous replies are valid scenarios.

If the non return valve (if present) had failed you would see dirty water from the flush in toilet cisterns and the tank.

Do you have any idea if the system is sealed or semi-sealed?

Oh and the yellow could be just a chemical he put in the heating after he flushed it. Of course it wasnt there before.

Is there only a large water cistern in your attic?
    If so, check in the hot press for a 1/2" pipe leading to your heating pipes. There is normally a red handle valve on it with a brass non-return valve just underneath it.
    If this is so, you do not need to replace your cylinder.

• Advertisement

shane 007 wrote: »
    Is there only a large water cistern in your attic?
    If so, check in the hot press for a 1/2" pipe leading to your heating pipes. There is normally a red handle valve on it with a brass non-return valve just underneath it.
    If this is so, you do not need to replace your cylinder.

But there is no yellow tint in cold water supply to taps or toilet sounds like cylinder
    A couple of pictures would nail it down

But there is no yellow tint in cold water supply to taps or toilet sounds like cylinder
    A couple of pictures would nail it down

Sorry, you are exactly right. I never read the tint is in hot water only.
    It would indeed indicate a split coil in the cylinder.

shane 007 wrote: »
    Sorry, you are exactly right. I never read the tint is in hot water only.
    It would indeed indicate a split coil in the cylinder.

I thought I was reading this wrong
    No worries we are all here to help

Advertisement