Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving without a Visa

Options
  • 24-04-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everyone. My husband and I are hoping to move to NZ at the end of this summer. He is just finishing up a BA degree and I have an MA. The thing is, I filled out an Expression of Interest form to apply for a skilled migrant visa and I got 130 points. From what I have read, there is no point in submitting it as you need 140 to be selected from the pool. In order to get a work visa or migrant visa I need a job offer but all of the jobs that I've looked at want you to have your visa already. (I know it's a bit early to be looking but I want to see what's out there) So my plan is to go to NZ on a holiday visa and try to look for work on the ground, then apply for the work visa when I get a job offer. Does anyone have any experience of this or think it would work?

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for any help!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hi everyone. My husband and I are hoping to move to NZ at the end of this summer. He is just finishing up a BA degree and I have an MA. The thing is, I filled out an Expression of Interest form to apply for a skilled migrant visa and I got 130 points. From what I have read, there is no point in submitting it as you need 140 to be selected from the pool. In order to get a work visa or migrant visa I need a job offer but all of the jobs that I've looked at want you to have your visa already. (I know it's a bit early to be looking but I want to see what's out there) So my plan is to go to NZ on a holiday visa and try to look for work on the ground, then apply for the work visa when I get a job offer. Does anyone have any experience of this or think it would work?

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for any help!

:)
    Thats incorrect, you dont need 140 to be selected from the pool. You might be confusing the automatic selection (at 140 or pretty much anything over 100 with a job offer) but you dont need 140 to be selected. Technically you could get selected with 100pts but around 130 is usually enough to get selected. You can see the stats here:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/general/generalinformation/news/eoiselection.htm

I used the Bunac Work Visa (1year work any job) to get on the ground and get a job then submitted for Skill Migrant Visa within 60days of arriving. 5mths later it appears my Residency has been "Approved" (2 days ago)!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

As matt said 140 is automatic selection. We had 130 each iirc but only had to wait something like 9 days for the next selection and got it as it was quiet. It will be easier going through the UK rather than over here as it's quieter and hence much better selection chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpebble

Cookie Monster. Did you get selected without a job offer? From what the migration advisors I have spoken to have told me, that's what makes the difference when being selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My wife had an offer, we applied before the offer and updated the paperwork once the offer was made. I didn't.

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. Wish me luck! Thanks for all you advice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

What type of work are you interested in, and are you young enough for working holiday visas?

on_my_oe wrote: »
    What type of work are you interested in, and are you young enough for working holiday visas?

I'm 28 so I could get a working holiday visa by myself but my husband is 38 so we want to try and get a single working visa. I work as a private educator here so I'm hoping to get a position in the third level education sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

At 38 he can still get the Bunac IEP Work visa, which is similar to WHV but with less age restrictions. Its limited supply per year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Noel.G

Matt Simis wrote: »
    At 38 he can still get the Bunac IEP Work visa, which is similar to WHV but with less age restrictions. Its limited supply per year though.

The Bunac IEP work visa has an age limit of 35 so he wouldn’t be able to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Hi rebelpebble,

Can I ask how you got on with your EOI? Thinking of moving the family out there soon but don't have a job offer. My skills are on the long term required list and OH is on the required skills list. getting about 150 points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement