Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving

Options
  • 24-04-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've been learning to drive from a driving instructor for the past three months,i feel as though ive come a long way in the last three months,however im still so incredibly nervous,i still cant drive by myself ive tried to drive by myself on two occasions but failed miserably,
    i was just wondering does anybody have any tips in trying to conquer the feeling i have as i recently got a new job that requires me to drive, i know practice makes perfect but ive nobody to practice with apart from the driving instructor once a week pleeese help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Who's car are you learning to drive in....your own, someone elses, or your instructors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Other than the fact it is illegal to drive unaccompanied you really shouldn't if you are that nervous. You will put other road users at risk. As you said practice practice practice, You will gain confidence with experience. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 24girl

Started off learning in the instructors car for the First 3-4 lessons,then used my own car have currently completed all the 12 lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 1 riks

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

24girl wrote: »
    I've been learning to drive from a driving instructor for the past three months,i feel as though ive come a long way in the last three months,however im still so incredibly nervous,i still cant drive by myself ive tried to drive by myself on two occasions but failed miserably,
    i was just wondering does anybody have any tips in trying to conquer the feeling i have as i recently got a new job that requires me to drive, i know practice makes perfect but ive nobody to practice with apart from the driving instructor once a week pleeese help??

Don't drive unaccompanied. You are breaking the law. You are also putting yourself and others at risk. Whatever the demands of your new job are, it doesn't give you the right to endanger others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 24girl

I appreciate and take what your saying on board guys thanks!!ðŸ˜႒plenty of L plates on the road not one of them as of yet😱

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP - the situation with L drivers has changed substantially over the last couple of years. If your licence was issued recently you only have 7 points. The guards are now more frequently issuing points for L drivers. As others have said don't drive without a supervisor until pass your test.

In relation to being nervous that is only cured by practice. Keep going out with whoever is willing to supervise you and just keep going, you'll get there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't take driving unaccompanied lightly. Not only is it an offence as such but strictly speaking you are driving outside the conditions of your licence which can lead to serious insurance issues and very annoyed district court judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

24girl wrote: »

re: bold print ^^^
    Have you a friend; relative; neighbour with a full licence who you could spend time with during the week to practice? Maybe if they have a drive to do; errands to run; basicly anywhere to drive to; have you thought of anyone who you could do the driving and have them assist you in your learning in the process?
    Just think about it, you might come up with at least one person you could approach and ask.

Just a suggestion,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Hi op

The unaccompanied driving topic is discussed regularly here.

I empathise with you if you are not getting the practice in - its a costly business and really you do need practice in between the lessons.

I also suggest that as much as people say neighbours/pals/partners can sit in the car with you, the reality is that many people in this category are uncomfortable sitting in a car with a learner - and they might sit with you the first/second time - but quickly suggest you head out on your own and learn 'independent driving'. Indeed partners are probably the worst supervisors to have in the car with you when you are learning.

I also think the whole system/law is flawed. In other countries for eg UK or OZ, you simply do not drive on your own until you get your P plates or N plates. But the law is not enforced, it would appear.

I was lucky enough to try out the Charity Idea that has been mentioned here - a fellow Boardsie acted as my sponsor, I got 2 hours practice in per week and i donated to their chosen charity as a thank you. It has been fantastic.
    But i think these civic volunteers are in a small minority. And as the law is not being enforced, the demand for this innovative route to learning, has been low.

I do wonder will I pass the test having only ever driven with a supervisor. It has been suggested to me by others that this might be difficult. Perhaps then the tolerance levels in the test need to change...is the test seeking for experienced judgement in driving or basic good practice with flaws allowed? There seems to be a mismatch....and many as a result seem to feel they have to go out on their own to get to test level.

so yes....keep finding people to practice with and get a good pre-test instructor - find your own level, in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Nobody to practice with!
    How is this possible?
    Nobody you know has a full licence?

Just noticed this is an old post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

For tour sake and the safety of other road users do t continue driving on your own.
    Its not worth it.
    There has to be someone with a full licence that can accompany you.

You're only learning a short time so it's natural you're nervous.
    Roads are a lot busier these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I actually don't buy this 'it's safer thing'. I suspect most supervising drivers simply make the driver more nervous and do little to actually ensure they don't do something stupid. I'm open to correction but I think the US system is to allow people to drive on a learner permit after a set number of lessons, with certain restrictions such as not driving at night. While I've seen some L plate drivers do stupid things I've yet to have a near miss with one. I personally think familiarity breeds contempt is more of an issue.

I don't advocate driving on your own though OP for one simple reason the law has changed recently. It used to be that you'd have to really p!ss off the guard because there was a mandatory court appearance - that meant them as well as you. Now it's a fix penalty system (as it should be) and lower point on new licences (again as it should be) it's far easier to just keep issuing points until you're banned. On the new regime licences you only need to be pulled for speeding with no L plates up and you've got enough points to be banned.

Personally I think the L driver thing should be properly thought through with a view to promoting safer driving rather than trying to use enforcement which will never, ever work in Ireland.

Advertisement