Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding external CCTV camera cables

Options
  • 24-04-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

I have bought a CCTV system for my house and I'm about to install it this weekend (weather permitting). Just curious as to how people run their external cables.

I have a 2 storey house with a single storey extension at the rear. I plan to mount 2 cameras on the single story extension just under the soffits but I'd like to avoid the eye sore of cables as it's not far from ground level. The soffits etc are white UPVC so I was considering running a small white conduit at the join of the wall/soffit.

Anyone got any other neater solutions?

Cheers,

LTD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

I don't suppose there is an attic area over your single storey extension is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

No afraid not, it's a vaulted ceiling.

See attached pic...

I used to hate that when wiring alarm systems over the years. Why oh why didn't they leave a little attic entrance to access that little attic space?

Anyway I think your best bet is indeed trunking, just bear in mind while you are fitting it to make sure and use self tappers. Done right and you will not even notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

You can get lengths of small conjute its about 13mm stick that to your soffit it should tuck in behind the fascia.

Please do not stick it, granted trunking does come with a sticky strip but in all honesty it just comes apart after a while. What I do is use the sticky just to hold it in position while screwing the thing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could run the cable in behind the downpipe and then fish it along the soffit of the extension or place it in 20mm conduit beside it.
    2 cat 5 cables for two ip cameras should do it
    Running the cable behind the slab on the inside wall probably isn't an option ??

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

You can also run the wires in the gutters.

Well I went with the trunking in the end (stuck and swcrewed).

Doesn't look too bad I think, just a bit time consuming to do..

I'm going to change the wire exit point on the camera from the 6 O'Clock position to the 9 O'Clock position to minimise exposed wiring further...

Cheers for all the replies...

~LTD

You are most welcome, not trying to be a pain or anything but I have to just point out 1 thing to you.
    It's the cable between the camera and junction box, it could very easily be cut by someone up to no good.
    Just suggesting could you route the cable out further up the body of the camera and then it won't be as obvious.
    But well done anyway.

That's what I meant by moving the wire exit point from the 6 O'Clock position to the 9 O'Clock position..

• Advertisement

That's what I meant by moving the wire exit point from the 6 O'Clock position to the 9 O'Clock position..

My apologies I quickly read your post and then saw the picture and committed then.

Advertisement