Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Cold Water Tank

Options
  • 24-04-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. A few weeks ago my overflow pipe from the attic cold water tank started to drip during the night, from what I have read probably due to a drip in the valve and the fact that no one is using taps allowing it to build up to a level where there is too much water, as I said it drips, fairly fast, out of the overflow but usually stops after a while, how long i don't know as it is usually around 3.30am i am woke by one of the kids saying the dripping is back (it hits the roof of the sunroom and can be heard then from the bedroom).

Anyhoo - I have an issue getting a look at the inside, the tank appears to be sealed and further complicated by the fact that there is a pump on top of the tank to quick fill toilets (i assume) after flushing. Have a couple of pics attached, does anyone know of anyway to get into these and have a look or do I need to get someone out who knows what they are doing and get them to inspect? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. A few weeks ago my overflow pipe from the attic cold water tank started to drip during the night, from what I have read probably due to a drip in the valve and the fact that no one is using taps allowing it to build up to a level where there is too much water, as I said it drips, fairly fast, out of the overflow but usually stops after a while, how long i don't know as it is usually around 3.30am i am woke by one of the kids saying the dripping is back (it hits the roof of the sunroom and can be heard then from the bedroom).

Anyhoo - I have an issue getting a look at the inside, the tank appears to be sealed and further complicated by the fact that there is a pump on top of the tank to quick fill toilets (i assume) after flushing. Have a couple of pics attached, does anyone know of anyway to get into these and have a look or do I need to get someone out who knows what they are doing and get them to inspect? thanks in advance.

New to me but I'd say the circular blue lid screws off and that's how you get in. Is there another small black tank in the attic? And if so, Is it higher than the blue tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    New to me but I'd say the circular blue lid screws off and that's how you get in. Is there another small black tank in the attic? And if so, Is it higher than the blue tank?

Hi thanks for the reply - No, there is no other tank, I unscrewed the lid but I can't see anything other than water :) - could do with a more thorough investigation inside with a better torch though but i would say it would be fairly hard to do any work as you are essentially working blind.

Hi thanks for the reply - No, there is no other tank, I unscrewed the lid but I can't see anything other than water :) - could do with a more thorough investigation inside with a better torch though but i would say it would be fairly hard to do any work as you are essentially working blind.
    That's where the experience of a plumber comes in I'm afraid. One with long arms by the look of the ballcock position in the pics!!

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That's where the experience of a plumber comes in I'm afraid. One with long arms by the look of the ballcock position in the pics!!

I would tend to agree! Thanks. Now just need to find one in the Cork area. Would a plumber I have used for servicing boilers be the right kind of guy to look at this would you think?

I would tend to agree! Thanks. Now just need to find one in the Cork area. Would a plumber I have used for servicing boilers be the right kind of guy to look at this would you think?

Depends on his capabilities. Ring and ask him would be the handiest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Sorry for late reply
    This is called an aqua box
    Pump is under water in the blue box and pump control is what you can see
    Ballcock is inside a bit arkward that is dripping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Sorry for late reply
    This is called an aqua box
    Pump is under water in the blue box and pump control is what you can see
    Ballcock is inside a bit arkward that is dripping

Thats the one.

There manageable enough.

Make sure your toilets ballcocks dont go slow. Thats what kills them pumps and there sealed so you cant replace the capacitors. About 300 euro them pumps. I replace a good few. Always toilet ballcocks at fault

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Thats the one.

There manageable enough.

Make sure your toilets ballcocks dont go slow. Thats what kills them pumps and there sealed so you cant replace the capacitors. About 300 euro them pumps. I replace a good few. Always toilet ballcocks at fault

I have replaced a couple this pumps
    Handy enough but I opened two of them
    Found bits of blue plastic inside the pump ?????

I have replaced a couple this pumps
    Handy enough but I opened two of them
    Found bits of blue plastic inside the pump ?????

Iv one at home but I never got a chance to open it. Id be friendly enough with a few well pump crowds and they've tryed they wont reseal.

most of mine its the capacitors gone. Pity to change the pump for a 10er part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Iv one at home but I never got a chance to open it.

Is the capacitor sealed along side the pump in one unit?

• Advertisement

Is the capacitor sealed along side the pump in one unit?

Yes it is all one unit factory sealed

Yep and if you add another inline the one in the pump smooths it out. Wont work.

The issue is when you run toilets off them. The ballcock gets old. Particularly torbek ones. And no pressure vessel. The toilet takes a half hour of the pump flickering to fill.
    Makes short work of pumps

How do you mean the toilets ballcocks don't go slow? Hopefully my issue is not the pump, not at 300 yoyo's !!!

Your cistern should be full in 2 mins. If its coming out at a dribble the rubbers/mechanism have gone old/hard/worn depending on type.

Your issue sounds like you need a ballcock in the tank changed.

aye they fill pretty quick - it is only the overflow pipe at night that is an issue. phew! :)

aye they fill pretty quick - it is only the overflow pipe at night that is an issue. phew! :)

Just a ballcock the tank so. Its when you stop using water and the small amount that the ballcock lets through builds up and it overflows untill you start using water again

Advertisement