Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE to ban e-cigarettes from hospital grounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yep using the WHO framework on tobacco control as justification. Big surprise, at least we know exactly who is behind the campaign to remove vaping from the options for smokers. But we knew that all ready. What surprises me is that someone can say what the muppet on radio this morning said with a straight face. Cognitive dissonance in action.
    Oh and the FDA in the US are releasing their deeming regs today too. End game.
    It was good while it lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Yep using the WHO framework on tobacco control as justification. Big surprise, at least we know exactly who is behind the campaign to remove vaping from the options for smokers. But we knew that all ready. What surprises me is that someone can say what the muppet on radio this morning said with a straight face. Cognitive dissonance in action.

The media should shoulder some of the blame too, they ran with all the sensationalist hyperbole headlines without doing any proper research on the subject.

I just got back from France and I've never heard so much crap spouted about them, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, but the problem with vaping is that everyone sharing their opinion is a self-proclaimed expert on the matter (and often a smoker!). When you ask these so called experts to back up their opinion with data, they almost always refer to an article/story they read/heard in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

tommy2bad wrote: »

Saw that about the FDA this morning alright. That's not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

It would help if they enforced the no-smoking rule to begin with!!

Was up at Beaumont a month or 2 ago and the amount of people smoking literally outside the front door was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

More reporting on the FDA regulation here, theres a 75 day public consultation period, one can expect some serious industry submissions given the expectation that vaping will turnover +$3bn in the US in 2015.

With big tobacco in the mix, you can be pretty sure that significant funding is being pumped into scientific research with the goal of proving that vaping is safer than tobacco smoking. Given the market for this industry, I'm very surprised that we haven't really seen anything of real significance on this front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Given the market for this industry, I'm very surprised that we haven't really seen anything of real significance on this front.

Without sounding like a conspiracy theorist, the tobacco industry itself could be to blame here for the lack of scientific research in an attempt to extend the life of their cash cow.

Heard the end of a statement made by Stephanie O’Keeffe and when she said something along the lines of "keeping our hospital zones a tobacco free environment" I couldn't help but shout at the radio that there's no tabacco in e-cigs.

I'm not a smoker and personally I don't like them but the only thing e-cigarettes have in common with regular cigarettes is the nicotine and I would prefer people using e-cigs over regular cigarettes any day of the week.

Definite lobbying going on here to try and give e-cigs a bad name and implying they're dangerous.
    One thing is for sure, they are a whole lot less dangerous than cancer sticks yet those seem to be the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Caliden wrote: »
    Without sounding like a conspiracy theorist, the tobacco industry itself could be to blame here for the lack of scientific research in an attempt to extend the life of their cash cow.

Its a good point considering that the US tobacco industry is worth $90bn p.a. (thats right, 30 times the size of the e-cig/vaping market). One can only speculate on how they play it out but with big tobacco courting some of the large e-cig companies for potential buyout, there have been a number of trade sales in recent times and that trend may well continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I hope the HSE is just as successful in its vaping ban as it was in its smoking ban, in Limerick anyway everyone still smokes away, no one does anything about it, the only difference is there is some annoying dude on loop over the loud speaker. Out the maternity hospital there are expectant mothers in pj's and dressing gowns outside the front door smoking away. So really I can see this ban doing feck all, I for one will be vaping away. Not usually one to disrespect bans but it is outdoors for feck sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I could understand the smoking ban when viewed from 2nd smoke in confined places like indoors.

Pushing it to include outdoor spaces is pettiness now to include e cigs is beyond beleive.

Who the fcuk to the HSE think they are have they forgotten they are OWNED by the very people they are supposed to serve.

Its no wonder the HSE has turned into money gobbling machine where it's customers are victims and treatment begrudgingly given

Advertisement