Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun beds

Options
  • 23-04-2014 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Do many men on here use them?

I am thinking about using them for the summer as look a lot better with a tan. Not sure though and would like to hear from other men who do. As to what their experience of using them are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah I'm the same as you. Have contemplated going for a session with the last year but haven't decided on it yet. When I was a young kid I used tan very easily and nicely but as I'm hitting my 20's I'm typical Irish pale. I've heard very bad things about them from some but on the other hand I've heard generally positive things about them too. Everything is bad for you these days though isn't it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I think I am going to give them a go soon. I assume for the first time it will be only be a few minutes session on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kevinseymour

I use a stand up one for free in the gym I work in, they are safe enough as long as you start your sessions at about 3-6 mins and 9 mins would be the max per session once you have a base tan.

I found using Piz Buin (type of carrot oil sunscreen) really helped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Just curious OP, would you consider a spray tan instead? i.e. would remove the potential health risks of a UV tan ...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

bear in mind the UV radiation is not the same as admitted by the sun, as far as i can remember correctly there is more UVA compared to solar radiation thus penetrating deeper into the skin and causing more DNA damage leading to skin damage and higher risk of carcinoma and melanoma. 2 friends of mine recently diagnosed with skin cancer and were infrequent sun bed users, mainly to get "base" tan prior to holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

I don't get why people continue to use them for the sake of a bit of a tan. As I posted in another recent thread...

- People who have used a sunbed, even just once, have a 15% increased risk of melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer
    - If you first use a sunbed before you were 30 years of age, your risk of getting melanoma is increased by 75%
    - If you use a sunbed once a month or more, your risk of skin cancer may be increased by more than half

source

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Would use them once a year before going on a sun holiday to build a base tan. I tan quite easily so only about 4 sessions of 6 minutes does the job.

Definitely not something you would want to be doing regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Sunbeds can be dangerous. Most Irish people die in beds, albeit not sunbeds, but there's no real clamour to ban beds. Everything is dangerous to excess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ravima wrote: »
    Sunbeds can be dangerous. Most Irish people die in beds, albeit not sunbeds, but there's no real clamour to ban beds. Everything is dangerous to excess.
    Mikros wrote: »
    - People who have used a sunbed, even just once, have a 15% increased risk of melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer

Once is hardly excess

skallywag wrote: »
    Just curious OP, would you consider a spray tan instead? i.e. would remove the potential health risks of a UV tan ...

I never even thought of getting one to be honest. Never heard of a guy getting one either.

• Advertisement

I think I will try them out. I understand there are risks involved but willing to take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Tanning is the body response to protect the skin from sun damage. Why would you damage your skin for the sake of a golden glow, when you can buy tinted moisturisers that actually look natural. Or fake tan that is natural looking(Clarins or Clinique for men have a good one). Tanning prematurely ages the skin. Go to Moore Street or Capel Street and look at how the sun has destroyed the fruit sellers faces from UV rays. Tanning might make you look golden now, but it will result in wrinkles when you are older.

There is nothing more ridiculous than an Irish person looking like something from Jersey shore in the middle of winter because of their sun bed tan

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board2Death

A mug's game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

You'd be better off keeping away from sunbeds OP, not unless you want to age prematurely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Tanning is one of the fastest ways to age your skin.

Tanning is the quickest way to make your skin into a leather suit and increases your chance at developing skin cancer. Our bodies really weren't meant for it and whether it is a tan or a burn, that is your body's way of trying to protect itself. There is no such thing as a healthy tan.

If you are vain it's the last thing you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Uses tan beds regularly crew
    Looks younger than you crew
    Look Spanish anyway so don't look stupid being tanned in the depths of winter crew

Life's better with a tan, u mad pale brahs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Look Spanish anyway so don't look stupid being tanned in the depths of winter crew

Hey there, you with the crew.

Are you sniffing glue? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Howya Mr Wrinkles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

HV4thLll.jpg?1

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Anybody who uses sun beds is an idiot. Parents who give their children permission to use them should be jailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

life's too short for this!

Each to their own. As long as a person makes an informed choice, what's the problem?

Excessive sunbed exposure is bad for you; excessive drinking is bad for you; not exercising is bad for you; eating too much fats and salt is bad for you.

Whoa there, Vit D is good for you - now sunlight gives that; red wine might be good for you in moderation; fats might be good and sugar the problem.

everything in moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

As much as I'd love to be a nice tan colour as opposed to pasty white, the risks involved with out weigh the benefits so thanks but no thanks.

Personally I think you have to be mad to burn your skin, just so it's a slightly different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

ravima wrote: »
    Each to their own. As long as a person makes an informed choice, what's the problem?
    I'd completly agree with you on the each to there own.
    As long as people are fully aware of the risks and there is some sort of taxation to pay for the negative health effects of sun beds.
    Excessive sunbed exposure is bad for you; excessive drinking is bad for you;
    I've changed the Irish Cancer Societies warning on sunbeds to replace sunbeds with drinking, and skin cancer with liver failure.

- People who had drank, even just once, have a 15% increased risk of liver failure
    - If the first time you drank was before you were 30 years of age, your risk of liver failure is increased by 75%
    - If you have a drink once a month or more, your risk of liver failure may be increased by more than half

Would you drink if the risk of liver failure was that high, even at very moderate levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,070 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I use a stand up one for free in the gym I work in, they are safe enough as long as you start your sessions at about 3-6 mins and 9 mins would be the max per session once you have a base tan.

I found using Piz Buin (type of carrot oil sunscreen) really helped too.

Sorry but this statement is nonsense.

All tan is damage to the skin.

Depends how you define the word 'safe' I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As has been said tanning is the bodies response to ward off potential damage from the sun. The paler you are to start with and the younger you are the worse damage will be done. Aging damage the most obvious(a good chunk of aging damage from the sun happens before 20 years of age). I've never had a tan in my life. Knocking on the door of 50 and I've no wrinkles. Nada. Zero(Indeed not so long ago someone accused me of using botox. Eh GTFO). Take from that what you will.

Sunbeds? Back in the day when I was 18-20 I knew a woman who was a bit of a demon for the sunbeds. This was the 80's so the risks were a lot less in the public mind. We lost touch for a few years, but when next we met I honestly couldn't believe how old her skin looked and how old she looked. Ten years more than her actual age level older. Now blokes because we have thicker skin will weather it better and a few lines are considered less of an issue, but sunbed use will speed up the process and no mistake. If you must look like you've been ronsealed then spray on tan etc can give you that look. Though body makeup for blokes is another subject...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Not to mention you'll look like a tool if you combine it with the wife beater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Bafucin wrote: »
    Tanning is one of the fastest ways to age your skin.

Tanning is the quickest way to make your skin into a leather suit and increases your chance at developing skin cancer. Our bodies really weren't meant for it and whether it is a tan or a burn, that is your body's way of trying to protect itself. There is no such thing as a healthy tan.

If you are vain it's the last thing you want.
    Sun damage on the side of a truck drivers face that was exposed to the sun when the window was down.

Trucker-Main_2585628a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Mikros wrote: »
    I don't get why people continue to use them for the sake of a bit of a tan. As I posted in another recent thread...

- If you first use a sunbed before you were 30 years of age, your risk of getting melanoma is increased by 75%
    - If you use a sunbed once a month or more, your risk of skin cancer may be increased by more than half

source

This information is useless without also knowing that only 308 men in Ireland got melanoma last year. So using a sunbed makes the risk of getting melanoma jump from vanishingly small to... vanishingly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Nermal wrote: »
    This information is useless without also knowing that only 308 men in Ireland got melanoma last year. So using a sunbed makes the risk of getting melanoma jump from vanishingly small to... vanishingly small.

smoking kills...but everyone dies anyway.

Getting skin cancer increases the risk of dying from cancer. Sunbeds are linked to skin cancer so naturally avoiding them reduces the risk.

Like a said smoking kills is normally a line trotted out but at the end of the day non smokers die as well. Its all about reducing your risk of dying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nermal wrote: »

I would doubt the Irish cancer society would not use international research before producing their statistics but if you have doubt then here is a UK source http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/852.aspx?CategoryID=87

Advertisement