Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

artic lessons

Options
  • 23-04-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Anybody know what price they are at now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Really depends on what school you go to and you are better off doing 2 hour block lessons,I know of a very good school where I actually did all my lessons from car up to artic many years ago.
    And the school is a lot cheaper than some of the competition around without compromising on tutoring,I also work in the transport industry and the majority of lads I know driving or who went in to mgmt did their lessons with this company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Between 55 and 65 euro per hour, some deals also available on block booking a number of lessons and the hire of the lorry for the test.

Its all the other costs which really add to it aswell ie learner permit, fee for adding category to full licence, CPC, medicals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Most truck schools will recommend two-hour slots at a time. Most seem to charge about €120 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,066 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy moly, this caper sounds very expensive :eek:

The HGV licence (or whatever it's called these days) is something I've always wanted to do for myself - I briefly considered a career in haulage as a young 'un, but got sidetracked into something else entirely, but still have a hankering to be able to drive and reverse an artic or a large rigid with aplomb!

Could anyone guesstimate how much it would cost from start to finish, supposing I turned out to be a pure natural? Is there a minimum number of lessons to be taken? And what might a hobby truck driver like me do for practice, seeing as I don't have one parked out front (and nor does anybody I know)?

Is it really a practical aspiration/dream at all :confused:

(apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread, if it gets at all sidetracked I'll start a different one!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Holy moly, this caper sounds very expensive :eek:

The HGV licence (or whatever it's called these days) is something I've always wanted to do for myself - I briefly considered a career in haulage as a young 'un, but got sidetracked into something else entirely, but still have a hankering to be able to drive and reverse an artic or a large rigid with aplomb!

Could anyone guesstimate how much it would cost from start to finish, supposing I turned out to be a pure natural? Is there a minimum number of lessons to be taken? And what might a hobby truck driver like me do for practice, seeing as I don't have one parked out front (and nor does anybody I know)?

Is it really a practical aspiration/dream at all :confused:

(apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread, if it gets at all sidetracked I'll start a different one!)

I'm doing exactly that, over time. If it's just for shíts'n'giggles you don't need the CPC, and there is no set number of lessons to be taken, your ADI will advise you on where you're at. I can't see anyone doing the category "C" (rigid HGV) for less than €1,000 all-in, to be honest.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm doing exactly that, over time. If it's just for shíts'n'giggles you don't need the CPC, and there is no set number of lessons to be taken, your ADI will advise you on where you're at. I can't see anyone doing the category "C" (rigid HGV) for less than €1,000 all-in, to be honest.

That describes it exactly :D

Jaysus.

And supposing I wanted to add the artic licence as well? Is that a whole other set of lessons and test to be done?

Think I'd better open a piggy bank :eek: Or start doing the Lotto.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That describes it exactly :D

Jaysus.

And supposing I wanted to add the artic licence as well? Is that a whole other set of lessons and test to be done?

Think I'd better open a piggy bank :eek: Or start doing the Lotto.

Adding artic to that would be about the same, I should say. A bit less - you wouldn't need to re-do the theory test, and hopefully you wouldn't need as much training. Although this blasted trailer-reversing is tricky! :D

Im doing the truck licences myself mainly for the craic/interest in trucks. The way I see it someone who goes cycling would easily spend 5K on a bike and accessories etc and that is their interest.
    At the end of it you have a practical skill and something which can be used to earn

yourpics wrote: »
    Im doing the truck licences myself mainly for the craic/interest in trucks. The way I see it someone who goes cycling would easily spend 5K on a bike and accessories etc and that is their interest.
    At the end of it you have a practical skill and something which can be used to earn

Quite so indeed. And don't forget, trucks are fun, dammit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yes14

Adding artic to that would be about the same, I should say. A bit less - you wouldn't need to re-do the theory test, and hopefully you wouldn't need as much training. Although this blasted trailer-reversing is tricky! :D

Iv never reversed an artic
    must b tricky at first
    backing them up on to the ferry must be som craic

• Advertisement

yes14 wrote: »
    must b tricky at first

You get the hang of it. Actually, a car with a small trailer is a bigger pain in the arse.

yourpics wrote: »
    trouble is, I already have a money-pit of a hobby (sailing), can I really afford another one?!
    Quite so indeed. And don't forget, trucks are fun, dammit! :D
    But this!!!
    yes14 wrote: »
    must b tricky at first
    I reversed the boat on a trailer through a yacht club once without hitting anything, was very proud of meself! Good practice I reckon :D

I prefer dry land myself haha

Doing the rigid at the moment and hopefully do the artic after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I did the rigid C test in 2003. Doing the C+E lessons atm,
    on a 'wagon and drag' set up. I did a few lessons on artics
    but much prefer the truck-and-trailer set up.

Driving school I'm using / their truck and trailer -
    http://www.aclearsteerdriving.com/?page_id=46

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Depending on your aptitude for driving you might get away with doing the ridgid & artic for around 2/2.5k,Also while reversing an artic everything that you have done in relation to the ridgid is the totally opposite for an artic.

Depending on your aptitude for driving you might get away with doing the ridgid & artic for around 2/2.5k,Also while reversing an artic everything that you have done in relation to the ridgid is the totally opposite for an artic.

Doney rigid in 06.done one lesson before my test
    same with the car.doubt id get away with one for the artic test

Well I finally did it ...passed my C+E test on Thursday!!:D

I did it in Athlone in a Sania truck+trailer combination operated by this school -

Great to finally be able to add B+E/C1+E/C+E categories to my licence!

Bus test next for me?? Perhaps!?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Silvera wrote: »
    Well I finally did it ...passed my C+E test on Thursday!!:D

I did it in Athlone in a Sania truck+trailer combination operated by this school -

Great to finally be able to add B+E/C1+E/C+E categories to my licence!

Bus test next for me?? Perhaps!?;)

Licence looks much better with no blanks. Get the D and then go A:D

Congrats.how many lessons did u do?

Cheers guys.

I did 12 hours in total, split into 6 x 2 hour sessions.
    On the week of the test I did 2 hrs on Mon, 2 hrs on Tues and 4 x hours on Weds (and took the test on Thursday).

A few things I have learned -

- Get an instructor who you get on with (The instructor I had was sound and very easy to get on with and learn from. No bull**** like other instructors I know of).

- Be well-rested before taking the lessons. It's heavy going driving an artic/truck and trailer - especially when you are not used to it.

- Read up on trucks..I bought the RSA 'Learning to Drive a Truck' but didnt read it in enough detail...as a result I had to think-on-the-spot when asked questions at the test.

- Most of all - enjoy it! I've wanted to do the artic test for about 20 years - so it's great to finally have it done!

Pics of the truck I used....

• Advertisement
Advertisement