Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Sat Nav Start 20 with Case €117 @ Argos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

When we can use maps on phones including offline maps I dont see the need for a sat nav really.

Maybe for the much older generation but apart from that I see no need. My opinion anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Ignore Argos's half price claims. It was previously on sale with them at €109.99 and is currently under €100 on Amazon for the same

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Mio Moov Navman M419 LM Sat Nav (UK and ROI), Inc Free Lifetime Map Upgrades for £49.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mio-Moov-Navman-M419-LM-Sat-Nav-UK-and-ROI-Inc-Free-Lifetime-Map-Upgrades-/121320125623

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

mcw92 wrote: »
    When we can use maps on phones including offline maps I dont see the need for a sat nav really.

Maybe for the much older generation but apart from that I see no need. My opinion anyways.

Maps on phones are good in cities. if you are travelling out of ireland you are into data charges which can be costly for say a 2 week holiday. Also maps on your phone not much use if you are out of 3G coverage which is common enough driving in the west of Ireland for example. Off line maps of no real use better off with a paper map. Also sat nav have much better graphic descriptions of complex junctions. Until 3g coverage is universal and data charges are standardised I think I will stick with my Garmin - much more reliable than a phone map.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

clevtrev wrote: »
    Maps on phones are good in cities. if you are travelling out of ireland you are into data charges which can be costly for say a 2 week holiday. Also maps on your phone not much use if you are out of 3G coverage which is common enough driving in the west of Ireland for example. Off line maps of no real use better off with a paper map. Also sat nav have much better graphic descriptions of complex junctions. Until 3g coverage is universal and data charges are standardised I think I will stick with my Garmin - much more reliable than a phone map.

Or you could buy CoPilot Premium for android (25euros), used this last year in England and found it to be excellent, map was downloaded after installation to the phone before the trip so no data connection required in England.

• Advertisement

Have to say, I was firmly in the "sat nav is a waste of money" camp until i needed to get places using my phone.

Got a lend of a sat nav just to see what it was like and had my own one a day or two later. They're worlds apart. I'd never be without a dedicated sat nav unit now.

Mind you, i wouldnt bother my hole with a storage case. Good mounting kit for the windscreen (usually included) is all ya need. If you do need to put it away sit it gently in the glovebox or such. storage case isnt entirely necessary (mine never leaves the windscreen anyway).

Halfords often have decent deals on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Automan wrote: »
    Or you could buy CoPilot Premium for android (25euros), used this last year in England and found it to be excellent, map was downloaded after installation to the phone before the trip so no data connection required in England.

didnt realise GPS on the phone could work without a data connection - maybe I'll ditch the Garmin after all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

clevtrev wrote: »
    didnt realise GPS on the phone could work without a data connection - maybe I'll ditch the Garmin after all:D

GPS does not require data connection, data connection is required if the maps are not downloaded to your phone or for traffic updates.

If you download the free version of co-pilot you get 14 days 3D maps and voice guided navigation so you can see if it compares to your garmin.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer

Advertisement