Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballydesmond/Kingwilliamstown bmd records

Options
  • 23-04-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently, I heard a story from a cousin that his ggrandmother's brother Wm Blackburn had joined the RIC & was located in the Ballydesmond area from the 1850/1860s, married & had family. Coincidentally, I already had the RIC record for this man but did not know what family he belonged to. According to the RIC record, he enlisted in 1849, aged 20 and he resigned in 1854 in order to immigrate. Even though I searched the immigration records, I couldn't find any suitable record.

The parish records where he was born only begin in 1845 so no baptism records available.

Family Search is showing Kingwilliamstown baptisms but no Blackburns. I don't think Roots Ireland has any records for West Cork/Kerry.

A newspaper article dated 1885 about a Militia Sergeant being sent to trial at the Odorney Petty Sessions (Tralee?). A constable named William Blackburn was a witness. It is unlikely that this could be same man born in 1829.

Not sure where else I can search? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

you could try The Casey Collection/O'Kief Coshe Mang, it contains a lot of North Cork/Kerry border records.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks - never heard of these records before. I will google to find out more.

Advertisement