Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for driveway conversion

Options
  • 23-04-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm planning on converting my front garden to a driveway and I'm not completely clear on who does what in the process. Do I need a solicitor to submit the application for me or can I do this myself? Who do I need to draw up the site/boundary map - architect/CAD etc? Any advice appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You'll need to apply for planning permission to dish the kerb. Driveways openings also have maximum widths so check with your council's planning dept if you're unsure on how to proceed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I'm planning on converting my front garden to a driveway and I'm not completely clear on who does what in the process.
    1. Do I need a solicitor to submit the application for me or
    2. can I do this myself?
    3. Who do I need to draw up the site/boundary map - architect/CAD etc? Any advice appreciated!

1. no - assuming you own the house and there is no right of way or anything unusual
    2. yes, but imho best to get some who does these regularly/deals with the local authority regularly to do it
    3. typically an arch/ arch tech/ engineer do these. they are straight forward and only take about a day to compile

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Somebody needs to draw up the plans and prepare a planning application. Max openings for driveways in Dublin City is 3.6m.

Once you get planning, you then apply to the roads department to dish th kerb. They dish all kerbs on receipt of planning but they do charge you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lucylucy608

thanks,usefu to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shoe addict

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    1. yes, but imho best to get some who does these regularly/deals with the local authority regularly to do it

Thanks for the info Bryan. Who would I be looking for to do this if not a solicitor? - First timer with all of this so pretty clueless!

• Advertisement

[*]typically an arch/ arch tech/ engineer do these. they are straight forward and only take about a day to compile
    ]

ahem

ahem

- Sorry, I thought you were referring to these for the drawings only! So they would also look after the application submission process for me - thanks for clarifying!

- Sorry, I thought you were referring to these for the drawings only! So they would also look after the application submission process for me - thanks for clarifying!
    making an application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

when did planning permission for this become necessary? I read something about this and i have in my head 2003?

I altered my drive prior to 2000 when i moved into my home,i did not dish the kerb but as no front wall existed i had it built short and had a few square feet of concrete added to where the grass is out front.

the job is very tidy and well done by the builder at the time
    ive seen other jobs done similar time to mine and some only v recently where it looks like they just chiseled off the kerb.

I dont think the regulation was present when i had mine done, some were self done back then or by unskilled labour and look crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

kceire wrote: »
    Somebody needs to draw up the plans and prepare a planning application. Max openings for driveways in Dublin City is 3.6m.

Once you get planning, you then apply to the roads department to dish th kerb. They dish all kerbs on receipt of planning but they do charge you for it.

the roads dept dish the kerbs? how much?
    there is no way the kerb a house on my road had it done that it was done by any professional, its pretty shoddy, cant see how its not a hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 odonnellrichie

Hi Guys

just wondering you have gotten any further with this planning application .I am also looking to obtain planning for extending my existing driveway and finding it hard to get started .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cerastes wrote: »
    the roads dept dish the kerbs? how much?
    there is no way the kerb a house on my road had it done that it was done by any professional, its pretty shoddy, cant see how its not a hazard.

Yep. Only Dublin City Council dish the kerb for you on domestic houses here after paying the fee. Or developers can dish it themselves on paying a bond which is returned after 2 years if up to standard.

Most likely the one on your road was done illegally and may attract the wrong attention if somebody was to complain to the enforcement section or indeed if somebody tripped on it.

Hi Guys

just wondering you have gotten any further with this planning application .I am also looking to obtain planning for extending my existing driveway and finding it hard to get started .

Hi, best place to start is the Dublin City Council website - lots of info and forms to download. You will need someone to produce drawings/plan of the garden for you - see thread for details!

FYI - I'm surprised by just how much is involved in getting planning permission for what seems to me like a very simple piece of work! Good luch

Hi, best place to start is the Dublin City Council website - lots of info and forms to download. You will need someone to produce drawings/plan of the garden for you - see thread for details!

FYI - I'm surprised by just how much is involved in getting planning permission for what seems to me like a very simple piece of work! Good luch

Finally got a call from my local planning office to which they stated if the hard surface extension( driveway ) will accommodate no more than 2 vehicles and is on the front or side of my property and also within my boundary I will be exempt from planning permission . They said to apply to the roads department for the kerb dropping .

Finally got a call from my local planning office to which they stated if the hard surface extension( driveway ) will accommodate no more than 2 vehicles and is on the front or side of my property and also within my boundary I will be exempt from planning permission . They said to apply to the roads department for the kerb dropping .
    are you altering the boundary?

are you altering the boundary?
    I

Hi

No it's literally removing the existing portion of garden and doubling the tar mac area there is no front wall to the house myself and the neighbour have semi detached houses with practically one garden in front . Would add a picture if I knew how .

Advertisement