Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving birth after pelvic surgery

Options
  • 22-04-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hey ladies, don't want to bore ye with too many details but wondering if anyone here has had pelvic surgery in the past and if so, how did it affect your birth plan/labour?
    Did you need a section?
    Did it affect your pregnancy or birth plan in any other way?

Basically I was involved in a bad RTA years ago. I was fairly broken up, including a shattered pelvis. I know I have pins/plates/wire in my pelvis but not sure what exactly is in there as I was only 13 at the time of the accident. I do remember being told at one point that I may have problems having kids but then was told in later years (when I was around 17) that I should be able to conceive but would probably need a section. I didn't think much of it at the time as kids were the furthest thing from my mind at that age!

Fast forward to now, I'm 29 and 32weeks gone with my first pregnancy. I live in a different county so I'm in a different hospital to the one where I had my accident. I informed my consultant at my very first hospital appointment (11wks) of my pelvis. He was pretty dismissive and told me that the baby "would measure itself" and it'll fit or it won't and if not, I could have a section.

I left that appointment with more anxiety than I had going in! I'm doing combined care so next time I saw my GP I asked him about it but he said I'd have to ask in the hospital. My next appointment with the hospital wasn't until 28 wks (apart from my 20wk scan) when I had my first midwives appointment. She took far more interest when she saw the note in my files that said (all 3 words:rolleyes:) "pins in pelvis" She said I'd need to get my medical files/xrays etc so they can review them and see what they're dealing with. Had my second midwives appointment today and this lady (different person) was equally concerned and had hoped I'd have the files ready today but I rang the hospital at home last month and they said I had to apply in writing etc. So did that and got a reply saying they'd let me know their DECISION to access my medical records by 10th May...just 4wks before my due date!

I'm so stressed worrying about it, I'm terrified I'll go early and they won't know what they'll dealing with and could lead to complications. Such BS that they can't just send me the damn files, I explained the urgency of my situation but everything is so slow with paperwork and red tape. Just wish the doctor had told me this back in bloody December and given me time to have it all in order. I honestly thought the hospitals could just transfer my files between them or something (they're both public), I'm so nervous and the anxiety is killing me.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences they can share with me as I feel very much so in the dark about all of this. Obviously, every case is individual but would love to hear from anyone that's been through anything remotely like this. All I can say is the midwives are unreal, they take much more interest and treat and talk to you like a person, they've a lovely personal touch and you really feel like they want the best for you. Playing the waiting game now...:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm really sorry OP but we cannot give medical advice. I'd advise you to get back onto your maternity hospital and ask for a second opinion from the head consultant on your team. I'd also advise you to contact the records office in the hospital where your file is held and stress the urgency of your case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement