Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

XS Direct Gone - I'm Goosed

Options
  • 22-04-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Just found out today XS Direct no longer operate in Ireland. Been with them 2 years; 1 year with 2Liter 318Ci and 1 year with a 3Liter 335i.

Im 26 with 3.5yrs NCB (only driving 3.5yrs)

I bought the 335i only after vetting it with XS and now I'm thinking Ill either find it difficult to get any insurance at all or be charged like a 18 year old with an altezza.

Do I have any options here?
    Are there any other providers left similar to XS Direct after Setanta going?
    Is it possible to get insured through the UK?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Surely a 335i shouldn't be that bad to insure. MetzgerMeister on here has one, and is a similar age, and I don't think he's had any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Might be worth trying a few brokers - a lot of the direct offerings are restrictive

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Surely a 335i shouldn't be that bad to insure. MetzgerMeister on here has one, and is a similar age, and I don't think he's had any issues.

I've had a 335i since I was 21 (now 25) and haven't had huge difficultly insuring it. You should be readily able to insure it with a number of the main companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

You're goosed, I'm devastated :(

My dream of an M5 at 21 is gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Jesus I thought he was 10 years older than that.:pac:

Op, unless you've got no NCB, or a **** load of points, I can't see insurance being too difficult to find. Ring them all, get quotes, then ring brokers and see if they can do any better. I never found xs able to beat my quotes of other insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

I wouldn't imagine you'll be entirely screwed.
    You'll hear a lot of whistles wow 3 litre car that's nearly a ferrari super car!

You won't know until you RING around RING not online forms.

First ireland where good for me last year. The quote this year was a little expensive. But not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

26 with 4 years' NCB will be ok at renewal. Plus you actually get insurance this time rather than a piece of paper that satisfies the bare legal minimum requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Aviva will insure a 335. They will even give a quote online unlike most companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Was 22 with 4 years ncb on a 735i and found aviva, liberty and axa give quotes on it through brokers but not directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Send them an email asking what happens when your policy expires, it maybe automatically passed to another company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ray13

Try Kennco! & Axa...anyone out there with an Altezza jap import approx 2008 to 2010, who can get out a measuring tape and advise on approx measurements of the rear bumper from ground level? PM me, will reimburse anyone who can provide a couple of photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone with a claim or two or other previous problems are in trouble. I dint think there's anyone else out there that'll provide cover.

Can't really understand them pulling out. Their business model is pretty solid.Their unbelievable excess meant most wouldn't even bother claiming. Essentially they were selling expensive insurance discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Great to see people talking about behind my back :pac:

I'm 28 with 8+ years NCB. My renewal in December was €625 with AIG through First Ireland. Try giving them a call and see what they can do for you.

IMO insuring a 335i isn't that much of a hassle because there's not that many of them around and since they are a fairly upmarket car, the people who buy them don't be acting the clown and crashing them so there's very few of them involved in accidents which brings down the cost and increases the likelihood of getting insured on one.

Out of interest, how are your turbos and injectors?
    coolisin wrote: »
    You'll hear a lot of whistles wow 3 litre car that's nearly a ferrari super car!

But........it IS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I'm with xs direct I emailed them after seen this.
    The response was if ur insured with them at present ur fine till the end of your policy. Know new policy's but they hope to have a new partner shortly but as I stated if ur insured with them now ur still covered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

burke027 wrote: »
    I'm with xs direct I emailed them after seen this.
    The response was if ur insured with them at present ur fine till the end of your policy. Know new policy's but they hope to have a new partner shortly but as I stated if ur insured with them now ur still covered
    :confused:

Anyway, on topic:
    I am with xs direct as they were the only company that would insure me at 27 with a previous claim and only 1 year NCB on a 535d.

Now that I'm on the "sensible daily and mad classics" mentality, I shouldnt need to be restricted to xs direct. Even if they came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

XS were great if you had an open claim. No one else would insure you unless you carried on with previous insurers. As my brother was a named driver he had no previous insurer so XS covered him . Luckily his has been settled now so he has a normal policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Packattack

Thanks to this thread for clarifying - so XS Direct are gone from Ireland then? I've just been told the same by my insurance brokers. My ins is up for renewal. Been with XS the past two yrs and never had a problem, then I again I never had an incident!

Ok, must get some "real" insurance now, will be paying ~é700 instead of é400, but at least it's real insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Packattack

They were a risk I was prepared to take the past two yrs, if you know that you're not going to be acting the clown whilst driving. My days of that are over.

To be honest, if they were still in Ireland, I'd renew with them again for a third yr in a row, and just take the chance on it. Insurance is a risk after all.

And no matter what company you're with, most people don't want to claim because it'll affect future premiums.

XS were good to just fulfil your legal obligation of having a disc in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

What about people who have claims pending with them, both the insured and the person claiming against them? I assume the claimant is still dealt with by XS, but what about the person insured with the open claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

goz83 wrote: »
    What about people who have claims pending with them, both the insured and the person claiming against them? I assume the claimant is still dealt with by XS, but what about the person insured with the open claim?

XS Direct are still solvent and sell Insurance in the UK market, they are just 'currently' not renewing Irish policies. All claims will be honoured. Anyone who cant get an insurance quote with an alternative Insurer can approach XS Direct to get a quote through their reinsurer (Inter Hanover) - though that is quite messy and would probably be hugely expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement