Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bag

Options
  • 22-04-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know there's a million of these threads, but I've been reading through them and that's whats confused me...

Do I really need to bring in sheets for the cot in the hospital? (Just assumed they would be there) If so, what size are they? I'm a total newbie and have no idea. I've bought the fitted moses basket ones, would they do?

Also, I have a few swaddle blankets and a few people have knitted me blankets, now I'm reading about cellular blankets...why are they better? (as I said, total newbie :rolleyes:)

And lastly, I'm looking to get a thermometer, would love one of them 3 in 1 ones, for baby, room and bath. Any idea of where to get one for a decent price?

Any other random advice, send it my way, I'm fast becoming a nervous wreck. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Depends on the hospital... they provided 'sheets' (pillow cases off the normal hospital pillows, they fit perfectly over the mattress, same as moses basket... pillow cases fit perfect I just bought a few plain white ones to go over my moses basket mattress) in the Rotunda and the Coombe, but I know some hospitals don't provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

What hospital are you going to ?
    The cellular blankets are more breathable at that age.
    Especially when hospitals can be so hot and stuffy.

Cant help u with 3 in 1 thermetre dont have one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

What hospital are you in? Sheets and blankets were provided in Holles St.

Re. the blankets, they recommend cellular blankets as they have loads of tiny holes, so the baby is less likely to suffocate if they pull them over their face. I use the cosy fleecey blankets when we're out for walks etc, but I would never leave him unattended with one on him. When he goes to bed, we used cellular blankets the first couple of months, and we're now using gro-bags.

As for the 3-in-1 thermometer, never heard of them! We got two gro-egg room thermometers (one for upstairs, one for downstairs), an ear thermometer for around €40 in Boots, and the bath thermometer only cost a couple of euro. Would definitely recommend investing in a good ear thermometer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I wouldn't bother with a bath thermometer personally. To be honest I have a thermometer on the baby monitor and never check it. I think you get a sense for what works for your baby. A medical thermometer is useful though. I just use an under arm one but it does take a few minutes to read and I can see why an ear one would be a good investment .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My advice is don't get the 3 in 1 thermometer. Their ears are so so small and difficult to get a reading from: last thing you want is at 2 in the morning trying to figure out if she has a temp because she's burning up even though the thermometer is telling you she doesn't! The Braun Thermoscan is what my GP reccomended.

Aldis baby vests are brilliant get them on Thurs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Have never heard of a three in one thermometer either.

I cant recommend a good medical thermometer for baby. It's a god send if baby is sick and running temps. You at least know you're getting an accurate reading and it's something you'll have for the long term so a great investment. We got the Braun one in our local pharmacy for €50. It takes the reading from tge ear and is instantaneous. We use similar ones at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

emz8 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know there's a million of these threads, but I've been reading through them and that's whats confused me...

Do I really need to bring in sheets for the cot in the hospital? (Just assumed they would be there) If so, what size are they? I'm a total newbie and have no idea. I've bought the fitted moses basket ones, would they do?

Also, I have a few swaddle blankets and a few people have knitted me blankets, now I'm reading about cellular blankets...why are they better? (as I said, total newbie :rolleyes:)

And lastly, I'm looking to get a thermometer, would love one of them 3 in 1 ones, for baby, room and bath. Any idea of where to get one for a decent price?

Any other random advice, send it my way, I'm fast becoming a nervous wreck. :eek:

I have this 2in 1thermometer, bath and room and find it great. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-AVENT-SCH550-20-Thermometer/dp/B000279W00
    I also have this Braun thermometer, it seems to be the most popular and was recommended to me by a pharmacist http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-ThermoScan-IRT4520-Ear-Thermometer/dp/B0001D0LMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1398265720&sr=1-1&keywords=braun+thermoscan

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Millem wrote: »
    I also have this Braun thermometer, it seems to be the most popular and was recommended to me by a pharmacist http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-ThermoScan-IRT4520-Ear-Thermometer/dp/B0001D0LMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1398265720&sr=1-1&keywords=braun+thermoscan

That's the one we use as well and was recommended by the gp. It's actually the one they use in the practice.

dizzymiss wrote: »
    That's the one we use as well and was recommended by the gp. It's actually the one they use in the practice.

It's very good. My sister has hers 12 years and it's still going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You don't need a thermometer for your hospital bag. Few babygros, vests and nappies. Baby towel and cellular blanket. Night wear, slippers and dressing gown. Some toiletries and sanitary pads. Your partner can bring in extras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

lazygal wrote: »
    You don't need a thermometer for your hospital bag. Few babygros, vests and nappies. Baby towel and cellular blanket. Night wear, slippers and dressing gown. Some toiletries and sanitary pads. Your partner can bring in extras.

I don't think the OP meant that she was going to bring it in her hospital bag! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't think the OP meant that she was going to bring it in her hospital bag! :D

I was a bit baffled by all the thermometer posts. We've a fancy ear one and only used it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

Thanks for the replies! I'm in the Coombe, anyone know if they provide sheets?

I seen them Braun thermometers in the pharmacy today for 40 so will pick one up this week! I did a paediatric first aid course so I'm all panicky about getting a first aid kit ready. :p

So how many vests and baby grows do I need to bring? And for the baby's outfit for the labour room, I'm liking the freezer bag idea. Do I just need a vest and baby gro or do I need the full shabang with cardi and hat as well?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Coombe provide sheets :)

emz8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! I'm in the Coombe, anyone know if they provide sheets?

I seen them Braun thermometers in the pharmacy today for 40 so will pick one up this week! I did a paediatric first aid course so I'm all panicky about getting a first aid kit ready. :p

So how many vests and baby grows do I need to bring? And for the baby's outfit for the labour room, I'm liking the freezer bag idea. Do I just need a vest and baby gro or do I need the full shabang with cardi and hat as well?

Thanks again!

Do you have this
    http://www.coombe.ie/index.php?nodeId=198

Advertisement