Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old gp refuse to give medical records

Options
  • 22-04-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I have changed my gp because I was sick for 7 months and he didn't manage to find out that was wrong ! He asumed it was an apendicitus ..
    I got diagnoses by another doctor and straight away I was taken to operation because I could have died any day. I had gallbleader stones 2mm eight of them , gall bleader tube inflamation and liver infection. My stones was growing very fast and the bleader was getting tinner . I was send to drogheda emergency I was diagnosed that I had a kidney infection ...
    So I have changed the doctors and my old gp refuse to give my full medical records . Which was needed for doctor who did operation. Anyways my med records would be a good help for further treatment .
    What are my rights at this situation ?
    Secretory does not let me to see the old gp .
    Same story happend to my friends
    Thanks ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Most drs won't give them to you, they will how ever send them to your new dr, if your new dr requests them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not legal advice, but this could be covered under the Data Protection Act. The medical records are relating to the OP, so it could be argued that portions of these which are covered under the act should be made available.
    So, if and only if the OP thinks so, then can look further from here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/standards_and_accountability/data_protection.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sandrutute

Morag wrote: »
    Most drs won't give them to you, they will how ever send them to your new dr, if your new dr requests them.

My new gp send a request on them. She got nothing . She said she can't do anything. They are my med records and she has to give me then. Because i'm going into the court for medical malpractice ..

Manach wrote: »
    Not legal advice, but this could be covered under the Data Protection Act. The medical records are relating to the OP, so it could be argued that portions of these which are covered under the act should be made available.
    So, if and only if the OP thinks so, then can look further

Thanks very much. Well my old gp cost me a lot of hastle ...

Well you see I had to fly over to another country to speed everything up. I has cost me a fortune. Before flying I whent to my old gp he said to bring in an usb so he could pop in my med history. So then when I picked it up I looked in there was only my bloods and letter from the hospital. I needed the dates of my visit . Syptoms and medication I was prescribed. The secretory gave me a big cheaky face saying im to dumb to open usb , that I can't see what is in side because only doctor can ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement