Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy wheel refurbishment

Options
  • 22-04-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Anybody know a place in cork that does alloy refurb

I went to body image in ballincollig and they charged a joke figure

Its just your usual stuff..no cracks or holes..just a tidy up mostly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Leo Whealan in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

+1 for leo whelan ... 0864086923

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Leo is no longer doing it I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

What did the crowd in ballincollig quote if you don't mind me asking?

BillJ wrote: »
    What did the crowd in ballincollig quote if you don't mind me asking?

320 Notes..These wheels have no cracks or need to whelding..Its your usual kerb marks and etc etc that hapens wheels over time

• Advertisement

Specialun wrote: »
    320 Notes..These wheels have no cracks or need to whelding..Its your usual kerb marks and etc etc that hapens wheels over time

If your wheels are 18" that quote doesn't seem far off the mark. But i'd want to be sure i'd be getting a top class finish for that.

If your wheels are smaller than 18 then ya it seems a bit expensive. Your man leo whelan was the only guy I knew of doing them as well sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

OriginV wrote: »

HiI tried this crowd aswell. They just do repair and not refurb I was toldThanks though :)

BillJ wrote: »
    If your wheels are 18" that quote doesn't seem far off the mark. But i'd want to be sure i'd be getting a top class finish for that.

If your wheels are smaller than 18 then ya it seems a bit expensive. Your man leo whelan was the only guy I knew of doing them as well sorry.

How did ya know the wheels were 18 ".....Thanks for the imput

Specialun wrote: »
    How did ya know the wheels were 18 ".....Thanks for the imput

Only took a guess! would you consider doing it yourself? I did one myself with the intention to do the rest but I just havent had to time to finish them all. Was happy with how the one I did turned out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

I have a few marks on my 17" alloys and wouldnt mind getting them repaired at some stage.. can they do repairs or do they need to refurbish the rim?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have a few marks on my 17" alloys and wouldnt mind getting them repaired at some stage.. can they do repairs or do they need to refurbish the rim?

Cheers,
    Mick

A repair would be welding a crack or removing a buckle from the wheel etc.

A refurbishment is repainting the wheel and removing general marks and curbing, which sounds like what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

To be fair at any size rim I would expect at least 300 euro for a refurb with no welding needed, any cheaper and you wont be getting a proper job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

opti76 wrote: »
    +1 for leo whelan ... 0864086923

He is still doing it, my friend booked in with him yesterday for an alloy wheel buckle repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

rex-x wrote: »
    To be fair at any size rim I would expect at least 300 euro for a refurb with no welding needed, any cheaper and you wont be getting a proper job

You need to be shopping around then, €250 for powder coating on 18" seems to be around the norm

You need to be shopping around then, €250 for powder coating on 18" seems to be around the norm

yes but powder coat is not ideal, you cant really fill and repair the damage with powder coat so there wheels need to be totally perfect first, painting is the proper way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

yes but powder coat is not ideal, you cant really fill and repair the damage with powder coat so there wheels need to be totally perfect first, painting is the proper way

I'm getting mine done by Wheel Wizards in Finglas who are considered to be the best in the business. They remove the tyres, acid strip the old paint, sandblast, repair any kerbing or damage, powdercoat the wheels, replace the tyres and valves all for €362 including 13.5% VAT for a set of normal (i.e. not split-rim) 18".

When you say "repair", are you thinking of cracks and buckles? They do repair cracks and buckles but they have repaired kerb damage on a lot of wheels for people on BMWDriver.net and I've read and heard nothing but glowing reports from their service, finish and durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

vectra wrote: »

I was up there today asking about refurbishing my alloys and while the guys there were very friendly and helpful, they don't repair or refurbish alloy wheels.

I'm getting mine done by Wheel Wizards in Finglas who are considered to be the best in the business. They remove the tyres, acid strip the old paint, sandblast, repair any kerbing or damage, powdercoat the wheels, replace the tyres and valves all for €362 including 13.5% VAT for a set of normal (i.e. not split-rim) 18".

When you say "repair", are you thinking of cracks and buckles? They do repair cracks and buckles but they have repaired kerb damage on a lot of wheels for people on BMWDriver.net and I've read and heard nothing but glowing reports from their service, finish and durability.

I mean they cant fill damage like curbing using traditional methods as the powder coat will just fall off again, they need to weld ideally all curbing or use a special filler which would add to the price significantly.
    OEM wheels are not powdercoated as painting is generally better, shinier and has a greater range of colours

• Advertisement

That may be the case about painting being better but when it comes to refurbishing, no painter in the country can get as tough a finish on alloys as they get from the factory. Powdercoating is a better option for a refurb too as it's a lot more even and tougher.

The new ceramic laquers would be even tougher than a factory paint job nowadays! but I agree powdercoating is a fine option for alloys if they have the colour you want and provided you dont have curbing marks etc and your wheels are not magnesium as this will make the powdercoat react in the oven

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The new ceramic laquers would be even tougher than a factory paint job nowadays! but I agree powdercoating is a fine option for alloys if they have the colour you want and provided you dont have curbing marks etc and your wheels are not magnesium as this will make the powdercoat react in the oven

I've yet to hear of any place that does powder coating not able to fix kerbing, or "adding to price significantly". Pretty much no alloys that go for refurbs are in perfect condition... if they were they wouldn't need a refurb.

Take a look for yourself

http://wheelwizards.ie/Gallery

I've yet to hear of any place that does powder coating not able to fix kerbing, or "adding to price significantly". Pretty much no alloys that go for refurbs are in perfect condition... if they were they wouldn't need a refurb.

Take a look for yourself

http://wheelwizards.ie/Gallery

Yes but look at the types of example wheels and the damage, they cut the entire wheel face back on a lathe to remove damage, this can only be done with some damage and some wheels due to the shape and design. Its normal for powder coated wheels not to be 'perfect' underneath as they cant use any filler like a painter can, unless they weld the damage and reshape it which would as I said significantly add to the price.....

Look closely at their examples, all the curbed wheels can be easily cut back with turning equipment but all the wheels with odd shapes are in perfect condition bar some corrosion or paint bubbling which the sand blasting will remove

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

high horse wrote: »
    I was up there today asking about refurbishing my alloys and while the guys there were very friendly and helpful, they don't repair or refurbish alloy wheels.

That's very odd, considering the website states "alloy wheel repair €40".

He is still doing it, my friend booked in with him yesterday for an alloy wheel buckle repair.

I spoke to him.He will do the repair but he doesnt do refurb as he is no longer doing the painting. He sent me to a lad down the road from him who now does

Yes but look at the types of example wheels and the damage, they cut the entire wheel face back on a lathe to remove damage, this can only be done with some damage and some wheels due to the shape and design. Its normal for powder coated wheels not to be 'perfect' underneath as they cant use any filler like a painter can, unless they weld the damage and reshape it which would as I said significantly add to the price.....

Look closely at their examples, all the curbed wheels can be easily cut back with turning equipment but all the wheels with odd shapes are in perfect condition bar some corrosion or paint bubbling which the sand blasting will remove

Where do you see any mention of a lathe :confused:

Where do you see any mention of a lathe :confused:

why would they need to mention it? it is just how its done
    How else do you propose they fix curbing damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I think in the 7 years since the question, they are probably sorted.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement