Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which hkc alarm installed? / how to change user code

Options
  • 22-04-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi there,

I moved into our new house and there is an hkc alarm installed.
    It works fine and we have the user code to set/unset it.
    There are Id contact/shock? on front door, back door and shock (inertia) sensors on windows.

I would like to change the user code for peace of mind and I am considering adding a shock (inertia) sensor on one of the windows.

But I don't know which alarm has been installed. From the hkc website it could be the SW1070 but I am not sure.
    I contacted the installer <snip> but they can't find what alarm has been installed and suggest to send an technician to reset all codes. However they charge €180 exc VAT which I find quite pricey.

So I would like to know if there is a way to know what alarm is installed, if I can change the user code without the installer to call in and if I can add a shock sensor myself and connect it to it.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

With the 8/12 type panels the keypad buttons are white with the digit numbers marked in black. There is also a male voice on it when it says system unset etc.

The 10/70 type key pads are white but have the surface completely black with the digit numbers marked in white. There is a female voice on this.

You do not have to use the company that installed the system, shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dublimax

Hi kub,

From the description you gave it seems like I have the 1070.

Any ways to change the user code myself or if not reset the alarm to factory settings without someone to call in?

I don't suppose it responds to 4567 does it?

The 10/70 is not as easily bypassed as the likes of the 8/12, my advice would be just to hang on until later and some of the installers up your own way should be trawling through the posts here and should be able to help you out with self changing codes etc. In the mean time you could try and pm KoolKid he might be able to help you out with the relevant code.

kub wrote: »
    I don't suppose it responds to 4567 does it?

The 10/70 is not as easily bypassed as the likes of the 8/12, my advice would be just to hang on until later and some of the installers up your own way should be trawling through the posts here and should be able to help you out with self changing codes etc. In the mean time you could try and pm KoolKid he might be able to help you out with the relevant code.
    Doesnt reapond to 4567, 1234, 1111 as I read in other threads.
    I am also not sure i can open the box to try to find a reset as i read in another thread that it could damage it if it has been locked.

Dublimax wrote: »
    Doesnt reapond to 4567, 1234, 1111 as I read in other threads.
    I am also not sure i can open the box to try to find a reset as i read in another thread that it could damage it if it has been locked.

Best not to go in there, just check back in here in a while, one of the East Coast lads should be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Does your existing user code note give you access to the user menu to allow you change your code?
    Is there wireless on this alarm or just wired zones.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Does your existing user code note give you access to the user menu to allow you change your code?
    Is there wireless on this alarm or just wired zones.
    Typing in the user code sets the alarm up.
    As for wired or wireless: there are both. Front door, front windows and motion sensor upstairs are wired and back door and window at the back are wireless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So are you saying when you enter your user code the systems arms straight away?
    If so they configured the system very poorly. You should have access to the user menu.

So are you saying when you enter your user code the systems arms straight away?
    If so they configured the system very poorly. You should have access to the user menu.
    Yep it arms straight away.
    Also since this morning I have a low battery alert saying that I should get an engineer in... I started to unscrew a screw on the keypad to change it but the alarm armed. Cant believe i need a technician in to change the battery....

The alarm will activate because of the panel tamer. You can disarm this using your user code. You can easily replace the battery like for like.
    To get access to the panel you will need to get the panel reset. This will require the system to be reprogrammed & the wireless devices reinstalled into the system.
    Shop around & I'm sure you will get a better deal.

• Advertisement

The alarm will activate because of the panel tamer. You can disarm this using your user code. You can easily replace the battery like for like.
    To get access to the panel you will need to get the panel reset. This will require the system to be reprogrammed & the wireless devices reinstalled into the system.
    Shop around & I'm sure you will get a better deal.
    Thank you koolkid.
    So when i get the system reprogrammed i should ask to get access to the user menu when I enter the user code to allow me to change the user code anytime in the future? What other options will it give me?
    Also if i am looking to add a wireless shock sensor to a window, will i be able to do it once i get access to the user menu or should i ask whoever will reset the system to do it for me?
    Thanks

Thank you koolkid.
    So when i get the system reprogrammed i should ask to get access to the user menu when I enter the user code to allow me to change the user code anytime in the future? What other options will it give me?
    Also if i am looking to add a wireless shock sensor to a window, will i be able to do it once i get access to the user menu or should i ask whoever will reset the system to do it for me?
    Thanks

The user Menu will indeed give you the ability to change codes, test the system, view logs etc.
    It will not however allow you to install or programme extra devices etc. Best thing here is if you are getting someone out to reset the system then get them to bring a sensor with them, then fit and programme it accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

I might have there eng code on my magic list

The user menu should give you the options to change, add and delete users. Edit and set the time and date. View the log. Inhibit and isolate zones.
    To add or remove wireless devices you would need the engineer code.

I opened the keypad to find that the 12V supply comes from the alarm box. So to replace the battery I will need to open the alarm box (which from what I understood should be done by someone qualified to do so?) I can always get an external 12V supply and remove the one coming from the box but I don't want to cannibalize the alarm just yet because if I need a technician in in the end might as well ask him to do everything...
    stuartkee wrote: »
    I might have there eng code on my magic list
    pm sent

Is it the panel battery or a detector battery that is gone?

I get a "low battery, call an engineer" audio signal from the keypad

When you turn the system on is the display information any bit more informative?

When you turn the system on is the display information any bit more informative?
    On the display it says "RF Low Batt"

On the display it says "RF Low Batt"

It is one of the batteries in one of your wireless sensors, best policy here is to change the battery in each one as if one is going now, then the others will go soon as well as they are all probably the same age. They are c234's

• Advertisement

It is one of the batteries in one of your wireless sensors, best policy here is to change the battery in each one as if one is going now, then the others will go soon as well as they are all probably the same age. They are c234's
    C123's you meant, typo i guess. Thanks for the tip

C123's you meant, typo i guess. Thanks for the tip

Yes thems the ones :D

Hi Dublimax.
    Did you get anywhere with the engineer code?

Hi Dublimax.
    Did you get anywhere with the engineer code?
    Nope :(

Sent you a few to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

yeah the ones I had colm are the same codes you had for them to

Advertisement