Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get started?

Options
  • 21-04-2014 11:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So the time has come to sort my life out and get a decent career going.Considering Applying for the Masters in Computer Science (Conversion course) in Ucd in September 2015. I would say I'm pretty computer illiterate if I'm being brutally honest. Looking to get a little experience of what the course/sector would entail before I commit to it. Not entirely sure I would be up to it.

Just wondering could you folks recommend some good books/websites where I could get an idea of what I would I be getting myself into? Perhaps a 1 year course or something I could do next year(Part time) to see if I'd be able for it?

Thanks very much,
    Fuzzy

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Start by searching for similar threads :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057170701

And many more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Thanks for the reply Horgan.

I'll be starting from the very bottom though so a lot of that is Jibberish to me! I'm just trying to get a general idea of what programming / computer science would entail and see if I'm able for it. It's such a broad area with complex jargon I'm not sure where to start.

I've signed up for a free course on coursera and am looking at a couple of books like 'learn python the hard way' and 'c programming in easy steps'.

I guess I'll just take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

If coding is the part of IT you're interested in then check out www.codecademy.com, it starts you off with the very basics and can be done at your own pace. Python is on there too, LPTHW may be the wrong approach.

Advertisement