Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routing flue downwards

Options
  • 21-04-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is even possible, but I'm considering knocking an internal chimney breast in the centre of a room. However we would still like to have a stove in the room. Would it be possible to route the flue downwards from the stove into the basement and out onto an external wall?

I think the flue would need to bend 90 degrees downwards out of the stove and then 90 degrees again to one side. Total run would be less than 4 meters.

Is anyone aware of any stoves or flue systems this could be done with? Running the flue straight up is not really an option.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

No. Just wouldn't work without a extractor fan. And thats just silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

tedimc wrote: »
    Not sure if this is even possible, but I'm considering knocking an internal chimney breast in the centre of a room. However we would still like to have a stove in the room. Would it be possible to route the flue downwards from the stove into the basement and out onto an external wall?

I think the flue would need to bend 90 degrees downwards out of the stove and then 90 degrees again to one side. Total run would be less than 4 meters.

Is anyone aware of any stoves or flue systems this could be done with? Running the flue straight up is not really an option.

Thanks.
    Absolutely not. Flues can only rise upwards.
    Seriously, though, it is extremely difficult to comprehend that you would even consider this!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Erm, smoke will only rise up!

The max allowable angle off vertical is 30°

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Fully agree that it is unusual, but seriously thought I seen something before that basically pulled the gases from the stove and allowed you to run the flue any way you wanted.

For example, some range cookers have something like this, and while the emissions are different, principle would be the same I'd have thought.

tedimc wrote: »
    Fully agree that it is unusual, but seriously thought I seen something before that basically pulled the gases from the stove and allowed you to run the flue any way you wanted.

For example, some range cookers have something like this, and while the emissions are different, principle would be the same I'd have thought.

Unusual wouldn't be my first word of choice.

You have 3 posts indicating a no, I shall add a forth er... No, very bad idea but a very good one for a early grave or if you like that smoke filled look to house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

To try and save you from our friend Google where you will find things like fan assisted flues, they are subject to the basic rules of Part J (building regs), and what to us is common sense, not suggesting you lack common sense just experience.

One thing that may help explain why they can be dangerous is what happens should a fuse blow or we get a power cut while the stove is lighting?

Aside from that I think you would also have a problem when it comes to supporting the remainder of the old chimney breast and making the flue look presentable in the room.

I hope you are getting some professional advice before removing the chimney breast, it is not unusual for them to be part of the structure of the house.

OP if you read Peteheats reply(which puts my own sarcastic reply to shame:o) you will see there are inherent risks involved in what you propose.

In defence of my level of sarcasm, it is linked to the level of risk involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Thanks guys for the feed back.

I thought it was a bit of a long shot alright - but it was worth a try.

The chimney is not part of the structure, or it won't be anyway as the roof above is to be fully replaced. It's in the middle of the room and you can walk fully around, so we are just considering what options we have when it comes to keeping it or getting rid of it altogether.

We don't really have an 'ideal' corner for a freestanding stove, but we may have to shove it in somewhere.

Advertisement