Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting married in the UK?

Options
  • 21-04-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Me and my partner have decided to tie the knot (yay) and we've decided to have our wedding in England. (It'll be a civil ceremony in a hotel)
    We both live in Ireland permanently and my husband-to-be is Irish, I'm originally from England and hold a British passport.
    What I'm wondering is, what do we have to do with regards to registrars and the likes?!
    I really haven't got a clue where to start! Any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Congrats!! Start here. You only need 15 days notice to marry in the UK anyway. Note: If you marry on a Saturday, you'll be paying more for the registrar, and will probably have to pay the travel expenses anyway.

Your venue should be able to advise.

EDIT: This probably isn't the best place to get advice about having a UK Civil Ceremony, as this is an Irish site! I answered because I too am English, and have knowledge of the procedures having worked in events (including civil ceremonies! :) ) back home in London.

You and Your Wedding might be a better bet when getting advice about your wedding. I found it a great help when I was getting married, and hope it'll help you too.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lady Redbush

I'll take a look now! Thank you :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

After completely discounting it for a while, we're starting to look again at the possibility of getting married in the UK - possibly influenced by having spotted a gorgeous venue in north Wales while away for the Easter weekend! The fact that we could have a civil ceremony on a Saturday or Sunday is quite appealing too, as is being able to sort most of the legalities in Islington no matter where in the country we go. We live in London, both Irish citizens.

Advertisement