Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microbore, repair, or raise floor

Options
  • 21-04-2014 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I have a 40 year old bungalow with about 3 central heating leaks under the concrete screed at the end of the house facing 5 radiators.
    should I:
    1) dig up and fix the leaks
    2) chase the floor and fit microbore to all radiators
    3) raise the floor and insulate while I am at it.

any other advice appreciated. The skirting and lower plaster is damaged so will have to be replaced anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

A half normal half microbore system would be a disaster to balance. Very hard to get working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Thanks, I thought about that and was going to bottleneck the normal 3 rads at the manifold....???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I had exactly the same problem only found when mould discovered behind a wardrobe. Foam backed carpet kept it from being obvious on the floor as carpet always dry. Dug some small holes until I discovered the pooling in the screed. Not a joint but where plumber had use a knee rather than pipe benders so too mean to even use a joint! I was renovating so ripped it all up as the standard was poor all through the house.
    I would suggest if you have 5 rads it may be worth ripping up the floor and laying underfloor heating so you can install insulation and have a much better system linked in to the existing. Only one lot of mess and it will be much warmer (providing draught proofing is in place.). Wish I had done the whole house but it was not appropriate at the time. If you are handy you can do this yourself.

Advertisement