Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding venue

Options
  • 21-04-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there,

I am really struggling to find the right venue for our wedding. We are planning to get married on a Thursday in May 2015.

We want a smallish wedding with 70-85 persons max. I have looked at a few places, but they either lack charm or do not have accommodation for all guests, which is really important to us. I am looking for something a bit different to the usual hotel wedding feel. We also want the have civil ceremony at the same place, and I'd hate it to have it in a hotel roomey kinda place. We are from dublin but willing to travel up to 1.5/2hours. Budget anything up to 85€ pp max.

Any ideas? I'm so desperate at this point.... Nothing seems to tick the boxes 😔

Any help really appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

The joys of finding the venue tis harder than it seems isn't it.. Not from Dublin myself but im sure someone will be able to adivse here. Have you looked at the list of venues on one fad day and sites like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Have you looked at Thomas Prior Hall? It's part of Bewley's hotel but it was an old masonic hall so there's lots of dark wood and it's a bit different. I really didn't want a white conference room and when we saw this, it really did tick all of our boxes..Plus they offer really good packages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Markree Castle in Collooney, Sligo. 2 Hours down the road from Dublin. I recommend visiting the place and sampling the food. It ticks all the boxes in relation to small venue and price per head. It also has a small chapel for civil ceremonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Blinkeyblue

Yes it is so so hard to find a venue.....

Thomas prior hall, well it looks quite a large room and with the high ceilings, I'm afraid we would feel lost there with 70/80 guests.... But thanks for your suggestion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Barberstown Castle...perfect in every way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anglers rest, strawberry beds. A few decent hotels nearby for accommodation.

Looks different yes, but would have the issue of accommodation again unfortunately....

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

The Castleknock hotel is a 5 minute taxi journey from The Anglers, the kilmainham hilton less than 10 minutes away.

Alternatively Castle Leslie in Monaghan is gorgeous and can do smaller weddings in the castle without using the marquee. There's also The Village at Lyons. Fab venue which we would've gone for but our numbers would've been split over two levels for dinner which put us off but for your numbers you would be on one level. They have a lovely room for civil ceremony

The Castleknock hotel is a 5 minute taxi journey from The Anglers, the kilmainham hilton less than 10 minutes away.

Alternatively Castle Leslie in Monaghan is gorgeous and can do smaller weddings in the castle without using the marquee. There's also The Village at Lyons. Fab venue which we would've gone for but our numbers would've been split over two levels for dinner which put us off but for your numbers you would be on one level. They have a lovely room for civil ceremony

Yes the village at lyons is absolutely gorgeous, we only had a look at it the other day. But what puts me off is the limited accommodation...

Not sure if guests would like it to need to get taxi to and from venue. I'm afraid they would feel "left out"... Maybe I'm overthinking things, but personally if I was invited to a wedding I would not like the idea of having to stay somewhere else. But maybe that's just me......but it is a stunning venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Yes the village at lyons is absolutely gorgeous, we only had a look at it the other day. But what puts me off is the limited accommodation...

Not sure if guests would like it to need to get taxi to and from venue. I'm afraid they would feel "left out"... Maybe I'm overthinking things, but personally if I was invited to a wedding I would not like the idea of having to stay somewhere else. But maybe that's just me......but it is a stunning venue!
    Barberstown very big for those numbers
    Try Liexlip manor
    Village at Lyons is perfect for those numbers but you would need some taxis or a bus to bring them to accommodation after.
    Strawberry beds is great spot, again accommodation though
    Priory hall is actually ok. Depends whether you like the feel of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

The Mullingar Park Hotel is a great spot. We had about 80 at our wedding and almost all of them stayed - some stayed in B&Bs within 5 mins of the hotel and if you were having something the next day there is a lovely chinese restaurant in the grounds as well as the bar food in the hotel.
    The food and service was absolutely second to none and it would be well within your budget and distance from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Hi OP,

I can highly recommend Ballymagarvey village near Slane. I've been at 2 weddings there - one in winter and one in summer - and it was stunning both days. Accommodation is very nice too.

My only worry is price; both weddings were longer than 3 years ago and it wasn't cheap. I don't know how much but might be worth looking at.

Best of luck.
    The Peanut.

The Peanut wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I can highly recommend Ballymagarvey village near Slane. I've been at 2 weddings there - one in winter and one in summer - and it was stunning both days. Accommodation is very nice too.

My only worry is price; both weddings were longer than 3 years ago and it wasn't cheap. I don't know how much but might be worth looking at.

Best of luck.
    The Peanut.

Thanks, Peanut! Just had a look and they offer a variety of different packages, some in our price range and it looks gorgeous. But again, not enough rooms for all guests 😣.... All the venues that are gorgeous don't seem to have enough accommodation, so frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Darver Castle between Dundalk and Ardee is an very good venue. Has a room for civil ceremonies on site as well. Very busy though, something like 260 weddings this year alone.
    Or Lusty Beg in Fermanagh. It's an island with accommodation for guests in chalets and townhouse style houses. If the weathers good you can have ceremony at the lake side or inside there's a room which looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Leixlip manor might suit as Clint said. Ive posted before that the brochure says 90 people minimum (or pay a venue hire charge if fewer guests) but heard they might not be so strict on that - could be time-of-year dependent though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Have you looked at No 10 (Ormond Quay)? Very different venue - very intimate. Though I've never been to a wedding there TBH but I do know people who have been married there. I don't think there is any accommodation, but it is next door to The Morrission and is in Town, so plenty of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcland

Have a look at Waterford Castle..2 hrs from Dublin. Rooms are limited but there are lots of garden lodges available. Lovely setting for civil ceremony and the food is top class. I think they have good deals on their packages too. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Balyna House in Moyvalley Estate would suit your numbers, budget and accommodation needs.

It was the standout venue for the price range we were looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jellytotsx

You could check out Finnstown House near Lucan, I was at a small wedding there. I think there a few different options for function rooms the one we were in was a beautiful Conservatory type room. There's also loads of accommodation there too!

• Advertisement

Jellytotsx wrote: »
    You could check out Finnstown House near Lucan, I was at a small wedding there. I think there a few different options for function rooms the one we were in was a beautiful Conservatory type room. There's also loads of accommodation there too!

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I will have a closer look at some of them. Balyna house seems to have a new owner, and no information on their homepage, but will give them a call to see if they still do weddings.

Thanks again, all your help is really appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! I will have a closer look at some of them. Balyna house seems to have a new owner, and no information on their homepage, but will give them a call to see if they still do weddings.

Thanks again, all your help is really appreciated!!!

New owner as of last week I think.

We booked about 2 months ago for December this year.

Have been impressed with them so far, very helpful.

Not sure if anything will change with the new owners.

Chen of their Facebook page... There's a few up there but the one under the heading 'Balyna Moyvalley' is they one they keep updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

Did you check the Waterside House Hotel in Donabate? It's right at the beach with a lovely view and terrace and they do great packages for budget weddings including a jazz band and bbq the day after. As far as I know you can have your civil wedding there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

We were looking for similar and are getting married in the Step House Hotel in Borris, Co. Carlow. 90mins from Dublin, 20 rooms and 5 houses, amazing food, whole hotel can be booked out for two days and you can have your civil ceremony there or Borris House is across the road for extra accomodation or the ceremony. Pictures on website don't do it justice. It was the second place we looked and we were sold immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

We were looking for similar and are getting married in the Step House Hotel in Borris, Co. Carlow. 90mins from Dublin, 20 rooms and 5 houses, amazing food, whole hotel can be booked out for two days and you can have your civil ceremony there or Borris House is across the road for extra accomodation or the ceremony. Pictures on website don't do it justice. It was the second place we looked and we were sold immediately!

Tis a great spot, my sister had hers there a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

Have a look at Woodenbridge in Wicklow, stunning location. I'm having my wedding for 75 there in October. The staff are superb and as it is the oldest hotel in Ireland, its quite unique

Advertisement