Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar panel problem

Options
  • 21-04-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if it is ok to turn of my solar water heating system until I can get hold of a plumber to look at it? It's started making a banging/hammering noise and the pressure dial, although not getting higher, has started to vibrate slightly. The weather is lovely and sunny so the pump keeps coming on and is heating the water but I'm finding the noise alarming and I'm worried about damaging the system either way!! It's a resol delta sol bs system. Would appreciate any advice, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sounds like the fluid boiling, when that happened to ours I put in on to continuous flow to the heat dump and it settled down. If your heat dump is very hot then put it on continuous to the tank and turn on the bath hot tap for a few minutes to cool the whole system down. Get on to the installers as they may need to recharge the system.

Actually the second option is probably the easiest, just turn on a hot tap and the system will return to normal
    After a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rockon19

Thanks that's great, not sure where the heat dump is so shall run off the water the water and see if that helps. Why is it always a holidays weekend when things go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Heat dump is normally a radiator somewhere in your attic, flow should automatically switch over once your tank reaches it's set maximum temperature. Can you see the highest temperature your tank reached today? You might be able to set it higher if it's too low. 65 degrees C is probably about right, someone else might be able to confirm.

The cause of ours was incorrect settings left by the installers. They set the automatic shutdown temperature way too low, like 85 or something. This meant that the system would be functioning away fine, and then suddenly shut off once the tubes hit 85, regardless of the tank temperature. With no flow the tubes kept getting hotter and hotter until the coolant started boiling and it sounded like someone was dancing on our roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I had a similar enough issue but noticed that I had a few air bubbles in the system.
    I could see them through the flow indicator (glass) on the pump set.

Based on this I got the system serviced and the glycol changed.
    It has been running very smoothly since (2 weeks ago) and it had been very noisy due to air in the system.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rockon19

Yes that was my problem too! I had it serviced and flushed last week and so far so good, long May it last! I did switch the system off until it was fixed but the weather had been cloudy and rainy so the pump wouldn't have come on much anyway or that was my reasoning anyway! Thanks for replying :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement