Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future proofing with house renovation

Options
  • 21-04-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I am currently extending my house and converting the attic. As this is being done, there will be some chasing through walls and it will be the last time to easily run wires through the attic floor.

I currently have an Aritech CS350 with shocks and contacts on all external doors and windows plus one PIR upstairs.

I will need to run cables to new windows and doors. However, thinking ahead towards ultimately replacing the system with a more modern one, what should I do now in terms of wiring before the opportunity is closed?

Will the existing wiring to doors and windows continue to meet that need?

Would more PIRs and cameras be advisable - how many and what type of wiring?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

From the point of view of perimeter protection it seems to me that what you currently have will continue into the future, ie shock sensors and contacts to all external doors and windows.

If you want or think you will ever need internal Cctv in your home then run Cat 5 to each possible camera position. Obviously pick a suitable location for your recorder and don't forget a link to your router.

I would suggest though that you wire for external cameras, I think that they will be as popular as intruder alarms in 20 years. Here again a Cat 5 to each.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

Thanks Kub

What would I need for a verified system?

Mycro wrote: »
    Thanks Kub

What would I need for a verified system?

If possible wire the shock sensors and contacts that are on your windows and doors onto separate zones. Or if feasible fit PIR beams to each room, landing hallway etc, obviously with the perimeter done as well.

kub wrote: »
    If possible wire the shock sensors and contacts that are on your windows and doors onto separate zones. Or if feasible fit PIR beams to each room, landing hallway etc, obviously with the perimeter done as well.

P's your CS350 will not transmit verified signals so you will have to upgrade that.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

kub wrote: »
    P's your CS350 will not transmit verified signals so you will have to upgrade that.

Thanks, I know - at the minute, I'm trying to future proof only so that I don't incur additional unnecessary expense when I do upgrade. I'm wondering what additional items I need to allow for to have a verified signal if I upgrade eventually.

• Advertisement

Mycro wrote: »
    Thanks, I know - at the minute, I'm trying to future proof only so that I don't incur additional unnecessary expense when I do upgrade. I'm wondering what additional items I need to allow for to have a verified signal if I upgrade eventually.

Well if it eases you mind any bit, practically all panels now allow for wired and wireless inputs.

Advertisement