Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new spinning rod help

Options
  • 21-04-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

in the market for a new rod has to be 10/11ft and 2 sections dont like the 3/4 sections , and medium/heavy action

i was using a friends old daiwa whisker 11ft yesterday and i loved it sadly he wont part with it for even stupid amounts of money

any recommendations ? if i could find an original whisker that would be first choice but im open to anything

budget max 150e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

That's the newer version of the whisker a very nice rod but if i end up buying a whisker it would have to be the older model

popsy09 wrote: »
    That's the newer version of the whisker a very nice rod but if i end up buying a whisker it would have to be the older model

Found it very hard to get an older whisker so I'm going for the rod above in 11ft , to be fair to dan he almost 50e cheaper than anywhere else

Going to pick it up in next few days perfect timing as the river is just dropping after a nice flood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

I have a spare Penn Millennium 10' 30-60g. Nice rod if you want to try it out let me know...

I have a spare Penn Millennium 10' 30-60g. Nice rod if you want to try it out let me know...

Thanks for offer jim but the whisker should suit me perfect I'm hoping to get down to dan in half way tomorrow or Wednesday depending on work

I have been keeping a close eye on your Facebook pics lately some nice bass I'm hoping to get my first this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Is the rod for bass fishing? The millennium would be more of an old style rod rather than a modern lure rod....
    There are many nice lure rods out there at the moment...very reasonable too!

Is the rod for bass fishing? The millennium would be more of an old style rod rather than a modern lure rod....
    There are many nice lure rods out there at the moment...very reasonable too!

No the rod is for salmon spinning but I suppose could be used for the bass too

I am dying to go catch a bass but can never get the motivation to go as I don't know the spots and lures to well so always end up going for salmon

Got a loan of a new whisker and had a salmon today about 7lb I just didn't like the rod it just didn't suit me , so back to the drawing board

I'm looking for something special may even consider a vintage rod , anyone any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Slight thread hijack but I am hoping to return to sea fishing this year after a long lay off. Mostly spinning and some light float/bait fishing. My old rod is an ABU Atlantic zoom 403 which I love but it was bought in 1976!

would this Whisker rod be a good replacement or can you recommend something which would be comparable to the ABU. I think its rated 30 to 60gram casting weight and 9ft long..

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

have you no interest in a 3 piece i know where there 2 3 piece original whiskers in 12ft if thats any use to you.lovely rods arent they dont think the newer ones are as good as the original

• Advertisement

bizidea wrote: »
    have you no interest in a 3 piece i know where there 2 3 piece original whiskers in 12ft if thats any use to you.lovely rods arent they dont think the newer ones are as good as the original

12 ft is too big for me really ideally an 11ft I'm looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

The century vectura is 11ft and supposed to be a lovely rod. Not cheap tho.
    Another option to look at are dorset custom rods. Again not cheap but supposedly lovely blanks and built especially for you.

Just won a greys grxi 11ft rod on eBay only too get an email saying postage was 28 £ rather than the 12£ Stated !!

Waiting on a few emails but if anyone has or knows of a quality spinning rod in 11ft please contact me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Richie Lxp

I suppose you could use the same rods for pike as for salmon as both fight hard. I have a 10' masterline xtc 100 gram rod for the pike but i dont think they make them anymore, great rod if you can get one. A friend has a 10' free sprit pike tamer, there around 100e but there a buy once rod. There a top quality peice of kit.

After numerous emails an calls I have made a decision that it will be the whisker 11ft I'll give it another chance

I was looking at the signuture model but it may be abit of overkill for me

Rang around today and 169e is the best from tw Murray's in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I bought one for salmon spinning and its over kill. I am using have a 10ft wychwood truspin and its a lovely rod fine for the salmon we get around here and (2yrs ago) they had an 11ft option, met a guy on the Lee using one. I prefer the 10ft when I am fishing the Blackwater.
    The Daiwa has been consigned to sea fishing.

stylie wrote: »
    I bought one for salmon spinning and its over kill. I am using have a 10ft wychwood truspin and its a lovely rod fine for the salmon we get around here and (2yrs ago) they had an 11ft option, met a guy on the Lee using one. I prefer the 10ft when I am fishing the Blackwater.
    The Daiwa has been consigned to sea fishing.

The whisker now or the signuture ?

Well finally I made a purchase I went with the daiwa whisker 11ft
    I was in Murray's in cork and they had 2 models the latest model for 2014 169e and last years model which has the "made in Scotland " on it and was a bit heavier for 165e

I went with the newer model and got 4 flying c thrown in also , roll on the weekend :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Friendly_User

There's a nice looking whisker on adverts.ie at the moment

Advertisement