Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 1 Series E87 Windows Random Opening

• 21-04-2014 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

The Missus drives E87 1 series (05 reg).

Over a few weeks to a few months she noticed that the windows come down (all the way) on its own whilst driving!

It could be on the motorway or anywhere at all.

When that happens it wont go back up by pressing the window buttons.

She will have to pull over and restart the vehicle and everything works ok again.

Once i was driving the car myself and the windows went all the way down on the M9. I didn't want to pull over so i turned the headlamps switch and tried the windows again with the headlights on and the windows went back up.

It was daytime so i turned the headlamps off and the windows went all the way down again!

So i left the head lamps on for the journey.

So each random time the windows start its madness we just use the "head lights" trick instead of parking and restarting the vehicle.

Also i noticed that the big triangle DSC lights are on, it comes on for like 1 minute when starting the car. and the tiny one stays on all the time.

Last night we went to see Spiderman (3/5 stars for me btw) and on getting back to the car, i unlocked the car with the key fob and immediately i inserted into the ignition the windows went down automatically and the car didn't turn nor start.

i tried the head lamps trick and i noticed everything was reverse, usually a right turn is ON but this time at the OFF position my headlamps indicated they were on and not dipped i.e the Blue headlamps light came on in the OFF position.

I rang Roadside assist and they came. The gentleman gave me a jump start and the car started.

He said it is the battery.

drove the car home and currently thinking which direction to proceed this morning.

Buy a new battery or take the car for diagnostics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

A failing battery can cause havoc with electrics. It's a relatively low cost option and given the car is a 05 it's about due if the battery is original anyway.

I'd start with a battery and if that doesn't fix it, I'd be off to diagnostics. (check for regulators, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2tek

jayok wrote: »
    A failing battery can cause havoc with electrics. It's a relatively low cost option and given the car is a 05 it's about due if the battery is original anyway.

I'd start with a battery and if that doesn't fix it, I'd be off to diagnostics. (check for regulators, etc).

The car has an original BMW battery in it still. Not quite sure if it's the one that came with car or not.

I will try to change the battery anyways. I heard batteries have to be coded in. How true is that?

2tek wrote: »
    I will try to change the battery anyways. I heard batteries have to be coded in. How true is that?

Very true. The battery needs to be registered with the car charging system so it "knows" that there's a new battery in place. It will adjust its charging map accordingly and prevent and over-charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2tek

Very true. The battery needs to be registered with the car charging system so it "knows" that there's a new battery in place. It will adjust its charging map accordingly and prevent and over-charge.

Can this be done by an Indy

Generally yep, once they have the right tool - most good ones do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Only if the car has an ibs sensor, which most of that era would not have, unless idrive is fitted.
    Buy the same specs battery OP and nothing else will be required. Unless you have idrive

Advertisement