Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost IMEI on GS i9000

Options
  • 20-04-2014 11:57pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I somehow managed to wipe the IMEI off a galaxy S when installing a (SlimBean) ROM earlier. I've been trying to get it back for hours with no luck. I have a copy of the efs folder which was made a while back but have been having no luck following tutorials on line on how to restore it. Simply copying/pasting the contents of the backed up efs folder to /efs has not helped, predictably enough.

I've no access to a Windows PC for the next couple of days and won't really have any time even when I do.

Anyone had similar before and know of a command line method of fixing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Enter *#06# into the keypad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

In short thread on same problem with an S3 someone linked a fix. Don't know if it worked or not but maybe worth a try?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057193487/1/#post90017580

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

flazio wrote: »
    Enter *#06# into the keypad.

Just a blank.
    In short thread on same problem with an S3 someone linked a fix. Don't know if it worked or not but maybe worth a try?

Might as well try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

didn't even know you could wipe an IMEI off a phone by flashing a ROM.

Have you tried flashing on the original firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

There's an app you can get that has worked for some people.
    Didn't work for me though.. But it might be worth a try if you have a existing backup.

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/tool-samsung-tool-1-0-t2602325

Looks pretty handy tbh.

• Advertisement

truedoom wrote: »
    didn't even know you could wipe an IMEI off a phone by flashing a ROM.

Have you tried flashing on the original firmware?

I tried that when I lost my efs folder, and it didn't work.
    Ended up sending it to Samsung for repair.

This is driving me nuts...

If I flash MIUI then the IMEI comes back. Unfortunately MIUI is really slow and buggy so I really want to put something else on there. If I flash CM or SlmBean or anything in that line, the IMEI disappears again.

I'm not sure what the original firmware is for the Galaxy S but I imagine it's a GB version?

There must be either something screwed with the partitions or else the /efs folder is only readable by MIUI for some utterly bizarre reason. Is anyone good with Odin or some other tool that could diagnose this?

Or are there (ICS) ROMs out there that aren't based on CM that I could try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

This is driving me nuts...

If I flash MIUI then the IMEI comes back. Unfortunately MIUI is really slow and buggy so I really want to put something else on there. If I flash CM or SlmBean or anything in that line, the IMEI disappears again.

I'm not sure what the original firmware is for the Galaxy S but I imagine it's a GB version?

There must be either something screwed with the partitions or else the /efs folder is only readable by MIUI for some utterly bizarre reason. Is anyone good with Odin or some other tool that could diagnose this?

Or are there (ICS) ROMs out there that aren't based on CM that I could try?

Yeah, think highest original firmware for the galaxy s is GB 2.3.something , could you try sticking that on the phone, and then try to reflash something from there? Maybe something about the officialness of it all will make the imei stick? (spoken like a true bodger)

Tried to flash a GB ROM using Heimdall but it just started and stopped the flashing without actually doing anything. It's utterly bizarre.

I always used Odin to. Flash official Roms, and weirdly if I didn't use a 3 Ireland rom I could not get it to install. Even when I did get the rom to install, the EFS was gone again same as is happening here with the OP. That was on a Note II by the way.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Tried to flash a GB ROM using Heimdall but it just started and stopped the flashing without actually doing anything. It's utterly bizarre.

Not saying it's the same thing, but I had a similar EFS problem with an S3, which was on early stock JB, 4.1something.....before I got rid, I was asked yo put on a custom ROM, JB 4.3???.

Anyway, I lost the EFS during the flash process.....

It turned out I could not apply the backed up EFS, due to Samsung changed the EFS format from V1 to V2, with very little publicity.....

somehow I managed to revert to stock, picked another custom ROM,which had an Aroma Installer, which took into account the EFS format change.....and I had IMEI back, and calls OK.

That's just the bones of it, as I can't fully remember, but I know there is/was a problem applying a backed up V1 EFS to a later Android Version ROM, like JB 4.3 and KK 4.4.

You could check Google to see if this affected your Galaxy S. I don't know, but worth a shot!!

That sounds at least like some sort of logical explanation all right, the formatting of the EFS partition.

I tried restoring a nandroid backup that had, I think, Darky's ROM on it but it failed with a ext4 something error on formatting system.

Think I've managed to completely kill the phone now though. It gets stuck on the ROM maker's logo now whenever I start it with any ROM, even the trusty MIUI (which is a 4.2 ROM).

Maybe if I'd managed to put an ICS ROM on there (all attempts failed) it would have been compatible with the efs formatting?

That sounds at least like some sort of logical explanation all right, the formatting of the EFS partition.

I tried restoring a nandroid backup that had, I think, Darky's ROM on it but it failed with a ext4 something error on formatting system.

Think I've managed to completely kill the phone now though. It gets stuck on the ROM maker's logo now whenever I start it with any ROM, even the trusty MIUI (which is a 4.2 ROM).

Maybe if I'd managed to put an ICS ROM on there (all attempts failed) it would have been compatible with the efs formatting?

There may be some info here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/general/ref-imei-efs-stuff-i9300-including-t2393289

But I'm not involved in Sammy's any more, so I don't know how relevent, it's for S3!!!

Don't think Nandroid backs up baseband, which relies on EFS/IMEI.....flashing older baseband with ODIN, then restoring V1 EFS may work

There may be some info here:

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/general/ref-imei-efs-stuff-i9300-including-t2393289

But I'm not involved in Sammy's any more, so I don't know how relevent, it's for S3!!!

Don't think Nandroid backs up baseband, which relies on EFS/IMEI.....flashing older baseband with ODIN, then restoring V1 EFS may work

I've never been entirely sure exactly what a baseband is but I'll grab a copy of Odin and see if I can figure it out.

The baseband right now, woth MIUI restored, is I9000XXJVT if that means anything to you.

Think I've managed to completely kill the phone now though. It gets stuck on the ROM maker's logo now whenever I start it with any ROM, even the trusty MIUI

This can happen if you don't delete cache and Dalvik cache ? Before installing a new rom even a backup. Just a suggestion.

tallus wrote: »
    This can happen if you don't delete cache and Dalvik cache ? Before installing a new rom even a backup. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, it probably was that. I rewiped everything and was able to put MIUI back.
    Giving Odin a try today.

I've never been entirely sure exactly what a baseband is but I'll grab a copy of Odin and see if I can figure it out.

The baseband right now, woth MIUI restored, is I9000XXJVT if that means anything to you.

Sorry, that link was not right, I've edited.

He gives how to work out the codes as you asked above:
    Other

How to work out when your baseband / ROM was released.

1) Take the last 3 characters from the name.
    2) Compare the first of these characters against the below to get the year

L=2012
    M=2013

3) Compare the second of these characters against the below to get the month

A=January
    B=February
    C= March
    D=April
    E=May
    F=June
    G=July
    H=August
    J=September
    K=October
    L=November
    k=December

4) take the last of the 3 characters and compare against the below to get the revision number

1=Revision 1
    2=Revision 2
    3=Revision 3
    4=Revision 4
    5=Revision 5
    6=Revision 6
    7=Revision 7
    8=Revision 8
    9=Revision 9
    A=Revision 10
    B=Revision 11
    C=Revision 12
    D=Revision 13
    E=Revision 14
    F=Revision 15
    etc

example:

MG4 = 2013 - July - Revision 4

This is a work in progress. None of this is my work, I am just compiling it into a single thread, so thanks to everyone answering questions in Q&A. If there is anything missing that you think should be added, please say so.

What Android version is the MIUI??

How do you flash??

But the above doesn't seem to work for your baseband above??

It's for S3, so different.....???

Check out this forum, perhaps something there:

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/index.php

Gotta go!!,

best of luck.....

MIUI version that works is 4.2.1

Odin is doing pretty much the same as Heimdall - recognises the phone, starts the flashing process and then does nothing. I get this and then it just sits there:
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> CODE_I9000XXJVT_CL617736_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> MODEM_I9000XXJVT_REV_00_CL1064602.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> GT-I9000-CSC-HOME-MULTI-OXAJVT.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/019> Odin v.3 engine (ID:19)..
    <ID:0/019> File analysis..
    <ID:0/019> SetupConnection..

edit: removed and replaced teh battery, removed the SD card, turned off anti virus and tried again. Flash successful, stock 2.3.6 ROM loaded and IMEI is correct!

Wow, GB is really old school, it's ages since I've seen it... no harm in flashing a ROM is there? :D

This thing just doesn't want to know about anything other than Stock. Stuck in bootloop hell after flashing an ICS ROM.

• Advertisement

That's usually down to not wiping data and Dalvik cache. At least you know you can revert to the stock rom now tho.,

tallus wrote: »
    That's usually down to not wiping data and Dalvik cache. At least you know you can revert to the stock rom now tho.,

Yeah, just see here: [sorry for the language, not me, Spider!!!]
    Full Wipe, The Correct Way.

Discussion in '[ROM] Discussions, Guides, Tips etc' started by Spider, Feb 13, 2012.

Most people come into custom roms and dont really understand what the forums are saying to them in the terms of doing things the right way, often things get misinterpreted as i understand but really you don't!!!

This is the case when it comes to custom roms installation, new comers think yeah i'll have a go and go for it without even understanding the basics of custom roms, wrong move, a little research didn't do anybody any harm, and is time well spent when it comes to taking a gamble on bricking your phone.

The main thing I've noticed is that people don't understand what a full wipe is and just go with what they see...

Going into clockworkmod and just selecting wipe cache, wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik cache is not a proper full wipe, its like wiping your ass with **** still in your asshole untill you wash it, no no no, this method doesn't remove the old system files, they are still there untill you carry out a format of the system partition, if you dont do this and install a rom over it you will have problems with the rom you just installed.

The correct procedure for doing a full wipe is below.

Go to clockworkmod recovery.

Volume up, power button, and home button all pressed together for a couple of seconds.

Wipe the cache partition

Go to Advanced and wipe the dalvik and batt stats

Go to mounts and storage and select it.

Go to format / system and select it.
    Scroll down to format system and select yes.

Go to format / data and select it
    Scroll down to format data and select yes.

Go to format / cache and select it.
    Scroll down to format cache and select yes.

Now go back and install the rom from the internal or external sd card.

This is the correct way of doing a full wipe everything is erased and formatted ready for the new rom, no old system files, old kernel remnants etc....

No need to wipe data/factory reset, and your internal and external sd cards remain untouched.

You can install any Rom using this method, no need to go back to a stock base via Odin, you can go from GB to ICS or GB to JB, or ICS to JB or visa versa, any combination you like, it won't brick your phone, i use it all the time and always a smooth flowing Rom running sweetly.

Have a nice day.

Spider..

Also, if you need to get back from soft brick to download mode, there is always the jig.......

make your own, how to here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/help/guide-how-to-make-usb-jig-reset-binary-t1604707

or, buy one here [cheap]:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Download-Dongle-Samsung-Galaxy-I9000/dp/B005BZFLJY

Yeah, that was it all right. I had Philz Cwm which has what I understood to be an all in one wipe command but obviously it's missing one of the above. With a step by step wipe that ICS ROM installed with an intact, non-generic IMEI. Happy days!

A excellent outcome.

Yeah, that was it all right. I had Philz Cwm which has what I understood to be an all in one wipe command but obviously it's missing one of the above. With a step by step wipe that ICS ROM installed with an intact, non-generic IMEI. Happy days!

Great result, happy daze is right!!!

nihil desperandum and all that stuff!!

His does she run, the old Galaxy i9000??

Great result, happy daze is right!!!

nihil desperandum and all that stuff!!

His does she run, the old Galaxy i9000??

Could you repeat the question? :pac:

Could you repeat the question? :pac:

But of course.....

How does it run, the old Galaxy i9000??

[Gender proofed] ;)

Zippy enough with ICS. You wouldn't play too many games on it but it's still a good everyday phone.

Zippy enough with ICS. You wouldn't play too many games on it but it's still a good everyday phone.

Good to hear, it was such a good phone, hard to believe it is 2010!!!

Super Amoled screen, Gorilla Glass, reasonable cameras, 1GHz processor, 1500 mAH Battery, 4 inch screen....etc, etc.

I'd say it'll last a few more years...cheers.

• Advertisement

This happened again yesterday, as in the phone died and wouldn't go beyond boot screen but this time there is no comeback. IMEI just will not come back no matter how many times I try.

Probably time to invest in a new phone in any case.

Advertisement